E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the GM5 Module also controls the Cruise Control functionality on the Multi Function Steering Wheel?

I've acquired my car where the Multifunction Steering Wheel never worked. It doesn't illuminate nor the Dash Display the CC when pressed. But the car has the features based on the VIN decode i did.

As per research I need to check the following:
1. Clock Spring (seems to be valid but my Horns works)
2. Multifunction Controls Buttons
3. Fuse under the Dash
4. MAF Sensor (although this one works)
5. Break switch (not sure if worth checking, since the controls are not even illuminated..)

I was hoping to do a diagnosis first before I start buying parts, can I diagnose these using PA Soft 1.4?

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,424 Posts
I don't believe that GM5 has anything at all to do with cruise.

Personally, I would start by pulling th eairbag and verifying that your wires for the multifunction buttons are even connected, then from there check that they have continuity getting out of the steering column. This sounds like a wiring issue to me.
Also, INPA is what you would want to use since using that would allow you to see real-time if the button presses are even doing anything. Not sure that BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) would be all that useful here unless whatever's wrong might have set a code for it to read.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles japan red
16,985 Posts
DME manages cruise control, because it can directly control throttle and knows about brake and clutch events.
The CC signals come from the MFL module.

As Vick already said, you’ll be much better off with INPA, BMW Scanner 1.4 (what people incorrectly call PA Soft) has limited live data display.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you BaliDawg and VpointVick! Now I at least know I don't have to mess with my GM5 Module then! I only have a PA Soft and some generic OBD Bluetooth Scanner as of the moment.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles japan red
16,985 Posts
Follow this guide to get INPA installed and working.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,802 Posts
Once you get the above scan tool working, look at the "diagnostic requests" and see if the buttons (press them on/off) and see if they are working on the screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts