BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friends and I were driving back from a couple clubs in Huntington Beach, and we get on the 22 W freeway. I had two of my friends in my car, and another two of our friends were in the Mustang GT. I knew this guy was going to spank me, which he did on straight-aways. But I knew the best on-ramp in Orange County was coming up, the 22 West connector to the 57 North. This is where I knew I'd shine....

The speed limit for the turn is only 40mph, and we were taking this at 80 mph. He had to slow down for the turn, while I just dropped my car into 3rd and floored it. As we were taking the turn, my car started to fishtail and drift a little bit, and before I knew it, I was doing 100 mph....and I took the turn like a champ. Sure he was able to pass me once the freeway became straight again, but just knowing that I smoked him on that turn made my day, if not my week. Even my buddy who was in my passenger seat couldn't believe that I pulled it off, he said it was the greatest thing he's ever seen me do, which immediately put a :D on my face. The Mustang can have as much fun as he wants, but we'll put american engineering against european engineering anyday and show him how much better the BMW really is. :flipoff:

·
'a certain moderator'
38,194 Posts
:thumbup: yea i love catching up in the twisties, or leaving them behind... friend has an S4 with chip and intake, easily 310hp, and i was driving away from him in the turns, he was amazed at how little body roll i was having, especially on stock suspension (his is stock too)

the 2.5L may not shine on the straits, but watch your mirrors when its time to brake and turn :D :D :D

-brendan

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, it was the greatest feeling...

·
'a certain moderator'
38,194 Posts
but the worst feeling is when ur struggling to get infront of Neons on the highway... :sad:

-brendan

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
simsima325 said:
but the worst feeling is when ur struggling to get infront of Neons on the highway... :sad:

-brendan
I won't even play around with Neons, if they're faster than me, I'll let them be. But as soon as we get on some twisties, I'll show them what they're american "muscle" lacks.:D

·
[email protected] mph 1/4...Not bad!
846 Posts
100mph in a 40mph turn???

Are you stupid? :dunno:

I could see if you said you took it at 60 or even 75mph but damn you have to be stupid. If a truck left his retread on that turn you would be dead. And I am assuming it was at night and dark outside which limits your visiblity too. :tsk:

·
Registered
125 Posts
You said u were in 3rd gear? 3rd will not get you to 100 mph. If you let off to shift in the middle of the turn that is just plain crazy....the car is begging for more thottle!!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
i got toasted by a audi s4 last night but it was realllllly fun... we were going at it for about 5 straight minutes ranging from 50mph - 130mph ----- it was intense, but i lost... its all good

·
needs a new sig...
4,890 Posts
330's beat GTs in the straights...low and high end..i know this form experience..and of course they are no match in the turns!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yeah I had a little fun with a S4 though a curve to

I almost ran him over through the ramp, I thought there was something wrong but he just couldn't take the curve. Once on the straightaway, he left my @ss like I was a 1985 honda civic.

Same thing with a mustang, he just couldn't hang through the curve. It was a base stock mustang. He tried to out run me when I got stuck behind traffic, once I cleared, it was one of those times that my car had some adreneline shot or something and I went like a bad out of hell from 80 to over 100 right on his @ss. I think he was kinda shocked how fast I caught up because he then got out of my way after a breif period of acceleration when he couldn't out accelerate me as I almost ran him over.

simsima325 said:
:thumbup: yea i love catching up in the twisties, or leaving them behind... friend has an S4 with chip and intake, easily 310hp, and i was driving away from him in the turns, he was amazed at how little body roll i was having, especially on stock suspension (his is stock too)

the 2.5L may not shine on the straits, but watch your mirrors when its time to brake and turn :D :D :D

-brendan

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yeah reminds me of that other dude that lost it on the turn

I think he was on a date or something to.

OJ330i said:

I could see if you said you took it at 60 or even 75mph but damn you have to be stupid. If a truck left his retread on that turn you would be dead. And I am assuming it was at night and dark outside which limits your visiblity too. :tsk:

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OJ330i said:

Nope, not stupid. I know what my car can do, what its capable of, and where its limits are. I knew what I was doing, and I wasn't about to let a Ford beat me through a turn. But thanks for lookin out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
ha, i got one for ya. I was coming home the other night about 3am in a nasty snow storm. earlier at a light was an older style grand-am like a 98 style w/ 4 people in it. 2 guys 2 chicks. later down the road they cut me off & almost ran me off the road. me being by myself & pissed off decided to cath up to them just to start something (i was having a bad night) anyway I got up to 120 (this is in the snow mind you) and this grand-am is still pulling away from me, way faster then my 325. anyway, I had to brake to turn on a roan to go home and he went into a 40 mph turn at about 130 i'm guessing. i looked the next day, no marks and no fire whistles so i guess he made it. Point to my story? a 98 grand am w/ 4 people in it is faster then my 325 in the snow, & i'm stupid for driving that fast in it, but you know what, sometimes you just don't care.......but hey at leat i LOOK cooler than him right:confused: :confused:

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cls1000 said:
Point to my story? a 98 grand am w/ 4 people in it is faster then my 325 in the snow, & i'm stupid for driving that fast in it, but you know what, sometimes you just don't care.......but hey at leat i LOOK cooler than him right:confused: :confused:
EXACTLY! :thumbup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can outrun a modified S4 on the turns? I'm having trouble pulling away from stock WRXs on turns. They just pull so hard and grip the road so well, and I'm guessing the S4 should outperform the wrx.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Have you seen the suspension and control arm mechanics for the Wrx?

A WRX with will out corner a modded S4 in my opinion.

babbit said:
You can outrun a modified S4 on the turns? I'm having trouble pulling away from stock WRXs on turns. They just pull so hard and grip the road so well, and I'm guessing the S4 should outperform the wrx.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,194 Posts
the S4 was experiencing way more body roll than my E46, if we entered the corner at the same speed (which we did, cuz he didnt wanna run into my rear bumper) i was maintaining significantly higer speeds upon exiting....

yea BMW :thumbup:

-brendan

·
Registered
63 Posts
In my opinion, the E46 with the sport springs, is one of the best handling cars there is. With the exception of the Lotus Elise. I would think a WRX is a better handler than an S4. Do you think an M3 would keep up with a Mustang GT down the straights? (Mustangs of any kind are few and far between in the UK!)

·
Registered
146 Posts
street racin can be fun..did it for years..and even today still have the "juice" hit me sometime...but there are way too many unknowables...fragmented tires in the road etc the list is endless..the LA traffic reports are a flea market of items that are "freeway furniture"...not to mention the fools that change tires in the fast lane and on blind curves...yeah ya beat a mustang..but what if ya didn't..it may not be worth it to ya someday...

the feeling of "it cant happen to me" is more dangerous than driving w/out belts, bald tires, and bad brakes..and you just left the bar...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts