BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just got rear ended in his 2000 323Ci and is looking for a new ride. He is considering another Bimmer (325Ci) or a Benz C240 Kompressor 6 spd. I dont know much about the entry level Benzes, so I was wondering if anyone has owned, raced, etc. at C240 K?

Im sure this board will be biased, but opinions for either car are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Is it the C230 K hatch or sedan, there's a sedan version since 03. No one seems to like the hatch's styling, so I assume sedan.

Reliability - 325Ci (according to Consumer Reports).

Resale - 325Ci (according to Automotive Lease Guide)

Interior - 325Ci (IMO)

Performance - 325Ci (according to everyone)

G35 coupe IMO.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, he's looking at the C230 K sedan. I looked on MB's website and it said 0-60 in 7.6, not great but I think he is more into the "pimp factor". Whats the 0-60 on the 325Ci?

Thats probably partly the reason he doesnt like the G35. He test drove and said it felt "cramped" inside. I tried to tell him to get the G35, but he's more about the luxury.

·
E46Fanatic
3,128 Posts
MFarrM3 said:
Yeah, he's looking at the C230 K sedan. I looked on MB's website and it said 0-60 in 7.6, not great but I think he is more into the "pimp factor
unless it's the C32 ///AMG, there's really no "pimp factor" about the C-class. My dads ordering the new E-class so i was at MB with him this past saturday. Sat in the C-class sedan and it's a pretty nice car but seems alittle tight comfort wise. i think it looks pretty good though. I would definitely get the G35 coupe or 325Ci over it though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
the c230 Kom. sucks major ass. I was lookin into one before I got my 330 since my fam is a benz fam (except me). They are slow, handling is so-so and its $2,000 in options just to get power seats and CD player!!! 325ci all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
52 Posts
MFarrM3 said:
I tried to tell him to get the G35, but he's more about the luxury.
If he is more into Luxury he should consider buying the MB. I took my C320 Sedan over a 330ci mainly because I wanted luxury with a decent amount of peformance. Also like the look of the MB (subjective).

Both cars are Pimp and Look Good IMO. Just comes down to personaly Taste.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Does he have any preferences towards coupe or sedan? If he wants a coupe then it's pretty much just the BMW. The C230K is a nice sedan although I wouldn't really call the interior more luxurious than the 3 series. It's designed to look more luxurious but the materials are a bit disappointing. You have to go to the C32 to get a really nice feeling interior.

Can he swing a C320? I was real tempted b/c you can easily get them for $1000 under invoice which is pretty much the price of a loaded 325Ci. Ultimately I chose the 325 b/c I really wanted a 2 door.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The C230K would give u more bang for the buck if u buy one of those $800 pulley kits. That'll give the car around 230-240 hp depending on which kit u get. It makes a HUGE improvement over the stock C230K, which i felt was a lot slower than my 325. With the pulleys, my friend's c230K felt about as fast as a 330...maybe even slightly faster.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kain said:
Umm...what extra "luxury" does the C-Class have that the 3 Series doesn't?
I meant extra luxury over the G35, not the 3 series. I wanted to ask you all on your opinions between the C and 3 series. Seems like a large percentage votes for the 325Ci, but it would probably go the other way if I went to the MB forums. Seems like its a very close call with personal preference as the main factor.

·
Are we there yet??
6,787 Posts
I really like the C class, I had almost the same comparison except it was the C240 not the 230, it might have been closer if I had the C230 as a choice when I was looking. the C240 was wayyyyy to slow!!! 230 is better but still does not perform as well as the 3. I wanted better handling and a little more power. Styling exterior wise to me is pretty even I have seen some very Sweet C classes out there. Interior I do agree that my 3 feels much nicer, and put together then the C. But you are looking at a coupe on the 3 its not really the same I guess, If I were going for a coupe I would look at the G35.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What's up fellas. I'm the guy who's car-shopping. I've considered and test-driven three other cars besides the 3-series:

1) Audi A4 (manual 5-speed)
Being 5'11", having the driver's seat set to my comfort, I immediately jumped in the rear seat and noticed that my knees were against the driver's seat. This wasn't a case for my 323Ci. Interior was nice, but being 1.8, it lacked in power in comparison to the 323Ci.

2) Infiniti G35 (manual 6-speed)
Did the same test of rear-passenger room. But this time, it wasn't a case of legroom, but more headroom. The rear windshield has a sharp slope, so the rear passenger would have to slouch to fit. Also, sitting in the passenger seat made me feel like I was driving an Eclipse since the dashboard sits high (if I offend anyone who loves the G35, my apologies). Also, each of the seats are true bucket seats: long-distance travel would eventually not be the most comfortable. But I did love the short shift of the gearbox.

3) Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor (manual 6-speed)
This is a close one. For 2004, MB lower the car an additional 2-inches on the sport and has new rims to create a much better eye-catching look than the previous model. Interior is nice. Airbags are standard all-around including curtain airbags. I feel that the dashboard computer is a bit more sophisticated than the 325's. I'm also wary of the supercharged 1.8L inline-4 vs. the 325's 2.5L inline-6. Not sure what to make of the comparisons. Overall, VERY comparable to the 3-series coupe. .http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/main/models/C230WZ_main.jpg

I just figure, down the road, a 3-series coupe will also look sportier than a "sport" C230

·
money sucking nXXGA
177 Posts
I am sorry but the 3 point star always got a lil extra pimp factor than the blue and white propellers...unless you are talking about the c-class hatch, in which everyone i know thinks it is fugly and it is viewed as someone who's desperately trying to become a mb owner but can't afford the real deal....no offense to anyone but that's just based on opinions...

I would go for the A4 since it's more unique and decent looking and if you go for the mb, get the sedan...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts