BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nice race with a A4 1.8T yesterday. For those of you familiar with the Burbank, Sun Valley area, it was glenaoks from Sun Valley headed toward Burbank. That nice curvy strip about 2 miles. Well I had a good race and hit about 110 but I gotta say I was kinda disappointed. I had a little bit of a lead but we were neck to neck the whole way. I mean I've driven one and its not that fast. SO HOW THE HELL DID HE KEEP UP??? I mean mine is a automatic, but will his being a stick make it that much faster? any insights people?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing actually but I wasn't using the titronic. I just didn't think I would need it, lol but IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AKAsevo said:
Funny thing actually but I wasn't using the titronic. I just didn't think I would need it, lol but IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.
Do you really think that using tiptronic is faster? :rolleyes:

·
Rogue Engineering
2,495 Posts
A4 1.8T with a boost chip in a manual will smoke a 325ci step...dont believe me...Ill show you my other car that has the chip but it is a tiptronic. I raced my boys step 325ci with my old car and we were neck and neck. On the highway he took me. If my car was stick it would have been a different story...

·
Got Mis-shift?
796 Posts
Damn 110mph???? on that road, it's very dangerous since it's narrow, plus the road isn't that great. Anyway, you got lucky you didn't get caught since there were lots of cops in the area for the past 3 days due to the manhunt.

FOr those of you that didn't know. A cop was killed on Saturday at Ramada Inn parking lot. ANother cop was injured. 2 officers pulled over a cadillac escalade cuz there was no license plates on the vehicle. when the police asked the guys to get out of the vehicle, they started shooting at the 2 officers. luckily, both were wearing a vest and none penetrated the vest but one officer still died. The cops surrounded the area, they closed the streets within 5 miles of the ramada inn. I live 5 blocks away from Ramada.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Yeah, how should a 325Ci do against an A4 1.8T, both with manual trannies? I'm asking because a friend of mine is looking to get an A4 (auto) and he's already talking sh*t about how his car will be faster than mine. Granted, an A4 with the right kind of mods (chip + upgraded turbo) will smoke my car...but do I have a chance against a stock one vs. my modded e46? What if we had the same mods (exhaust, intake)?

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
woobiee said:
haha funny, 2 mins before reading this, i was reading the new 04 audi brochures. the fastest stock time for the A4 1.8T 0-60mph is 7.8 (manual). so yes, a stock manual 325Ci will crush a stock 1.8T
Good to know...what about the previous body style A4?

·
Sick of Modding my car
448 Posts
Well here ill answere all your questions,
I have a 99 1.8t with Remus exhaust and Ottinger(spelling) chip.
The chip and exhaust boosts the hp to about 195
In my 325ci i have Dinan exhaust and Dinan intake, Hp about 195 give for take,
Me and my friend wanted to know which was faster so we did all types of races. Both are stick by the way.
We are about to same driving skill wise,
1st race-Drag almost a quater mile- I won by about half a car length
We dragged 3 times and i won by 1/2 car length 2 times and the other time it was a little closer but i still won.
2nd race 60-120- This was close and first, both of us starting in 3rd gear, even untill i shifted into fourth and then i was pulling but he was at the back of my car when i hit 120. So there are your conclusions :thumbup:

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
woobiee said:
i checked my drawer full of car brochures, and the oldest one for the A4 platform i have is the 2002 models. the times are identical to the 2004 models.
Ok good...thanks for the info. A couple of my friends actually have the A4 1.8T, they're great cars, but they keep talking **** about beating my 325Ci...fockers...I can't wait to race their stock POSs now. :flipoff: Until they're chipped, then I'll back off. :D

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Razor325ci said:
Well here ill answere all your questions,
I have a 99 1.8t with Remus exhaust and Ottinger(spelling) chip.
The chip and exhaust boosts the hp to about 195
In my 325ci i have Dinan exhaust and Dinan intake, Hp about 195 give for take,
Me and my friend wanted to know which was faster so we did all types of races. Both are stick by the way.
We are about to same driving skill wise,
1st race-Drag almost a quater mile- I won by about half a car length
We dragged 3 times and i won by 1/2 car length 2 times and the other time it was a little closer but i still won.
2nd race 60-120- This was close and first, both of us starting in 3rd gear, even untill i shifted into fourth and then i was pulling but he was at the back of my car when i hit 120. So there are your conclusions :thumbup:
So were you driving the 325Ci or the A4?? I thought the chips on the A4 boost the power waaaay up there, but I guess not?

·
Rogue Engineering
2,495 Posts
They do...my A4 went from 150-200 with a chip and exhaust...BMW just ownz.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I own both, 99 1.8T A4 TIP with GIAC chip and K&N filter, and a 01 325Ci 5-spd. The 325 is slightly quicker in the quarter and much quicker from 80+. BUT I think it would be damn near a dead heat if the audi wasn't a tiptronic.(junk)...I still love my A4 though

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,378 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:
Yeah, how should a 325Ci do against an A4 1.8T, both with manual trannies? I'm asking because a friend of mine is looking to get an A4 (auto) and he's already talking sh*t about how his car will be faster than mine. Granted, an A4 with the right kind of mods (chip + upgraded turbo) will smoke my car...but do I have a chance against a stock one vs. my modded e46? What if we had the same mods (exhaust, intake)?
Your friends are fools. A stock 1.8T with any type of tranny is absolutely no match for a stock 325 manual. I speak from experience...and an AUTO 1.8T will be even slower...0-60 in 8.5 (as Audi claims) for the quattro version!

With a good (meaning $$$) chip, a manual 1.8T might run about even with a stock 325. Smoke? Hell no...you'd need an upgraded turbo (more $$$$) plus the chip to do that...and that's assuming the 325 stays stock. The auto is naturally slower than the manual. So, unless he dumps a good deal of money into it, your friend's auto will have no chance.

Keep in mind that the 1.8T engine doesn't have the greatest torque curve, as boosted 4 cyl engines are generally known to be peaky. So even if the chip is resulting in boosts to 200+ hp, that doesn't mean the A4 will be faster.

Also, don't confuse the turbo Jettas and GTIs with the A4...the first two are a couple hundred pounds lighter than the latter. :)

All of that said, the A4 is still a damn sweet ride. I love the way they look, classy cars. But as far as performance goes, tell your friends to be quiet before they embarrass themselves. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
:) The 1.8t turbo has a hell of a flat torque curve. The 1.8t is NOT a "peaky" engine at all. In fact, it's torque curve is flatter than my 325i. The 1.8 A4 with manual "feels" stronger to me than my 325i manual. It's the 325 that has a "peakier" quality than the 1.8 turbo. Drive the A4 turbo and you'll see how fast that turbo spools up. You get nearly maximum torque below 2000rpm.
In my 325 I have to rev it to around 3000rpm just to get a decent launch. In my 325, the power doesn't really feel like it's coming on until after 3000rpm and more around 4000rpm. I'd say the 325 engine requires quite a few revs to feel fast. The 325 engine has more torque but it comes later and the spread is not as flat or broad.

The A4 came in the new body style as an '02 model. That engine has 170HP and the new 04 now has a 6 speed manual option but power is the same. Newer 170hp A4's can be bumped in the 200-210hp with a healty torque boost with a simple $400-$500 chip.
That's bang for your buck.

As far as Audi's listed times, those times are more conservative than BMW's.
A manual A4 stock should handily beat a 325 with automatic, if the A4 driver uses the AWD launch to his advantage.

TT

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,378 Posts
SST said:
:) The 1.8t turbo has a hell of a flat torque curve. The 1.8t is NOT a "peaky" engine at all. In fact, it's torque curve is flatter than my 325i. The 1.8 A4 with manual "feels" stronger to me than my 325i manual. It's the 325 that has a "peakier" quality than the 1.8 turbo. Drive the A4 turbo and you'll see how fast that turbo spools up. You get nearly maximum torque below 2000rpm.
In my 325 I have to rev it to around 3000rpm just to get a decent launch. In my 325, the power doesn't really feel like it's coming on until after 3000rpm and more around 4000rpm. I'd say the 325 engine requires quite a few revs to feel fast. The 325 engine has more torque but it comes later and the spread is not as flat or broad.

The A4 came in the new body style as an '02 model. That engine has 170HP and the new 04 now has a 6 speed manual option but power is the same. Newer 170hp A4's can be bumped in the 200-210hp with a healty torque boost with a simple $400-$500 chip.
That's bang for your buck.

As far as Audi's listed times, those times are more conservative than BMW's.
A manual A4 stock should handily beat a 325 with automatic, if the A4 driver uses the AWD launch to his advantage.

TT
Well, I'm not really familiar with Audi's 1.8T engine, that's why I said "as boosted 4 cyl engines are generally known to be peaky." I will always leave little words and such like that in when I'm not 100% certain. So you can't incriminate me with that. :) If it is as you say, so be it.

As for the manual 1.8T over the auto 325, this I totally agree with you. The auto 325 is so much slower than it's manual counterpart.

BTW I did drive the A4, but it was the 3.0L V6, not the turbo. FWD does not interest me in a car of this type, and quattro is basically useless here in Florida (AWD launches or not, the several hundred pounds of added weight do more than enough to negate that advantage).

Edit: Noticed your location, I'm a Chicago native. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts