E46 Fanatics Forum banner

325ci Rear suspension worryingly lower on one side

5K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Louken 
#1 ·
My 325ci is sitting lower on the rear driver side in comparison to the other sides. I changed the rear coils and springs and it hasn’t made a difference. I have also changed my front springs and shocks. Would anyone have any idea what it may be?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

See less See more
#14 ·
In order to better help you, can you kindly provide me with a "ride height measurement"?
Please measure in MM the distance from the bottom of the wheel lip to the arch of the body, same way both sides and report back your findings.
Be sure to measure through the center of the wheel. The crosshairs of the Roundel are your guide.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

#15 · (Edited)
do both your rear tires match???
because one is a “SportWay 57” and the other says “FarRoad 21”

#19 · (Edited)
My sagging issue was by the right rear strut going bad. Then after some drag pulls it completely failed, leaked all over the driveway for a week.

If you forgot something or left something out, maybe the spring pad, maybe possible to overlook something. I’ve made plenty of “attempts” on plenty of challenges.

Maybe also a production issue in the springs, an OE recycled set of springs and new pads would be my choice if I had to address this issue. parts hold up well in our Florida boneyards.

#20 ·
My sagging issue was by the right rear strut going bad.
Maybe also a production issue in the springs, an OE recycled set of springs and new pads would be my choice if I had to address this issue.
think you mean rear “shock” not “rear strut”.
OP stated he changed the springs already trying to fix.

#22 ·
Lower, acceptable or not is subjective. Hence why I asked for a measurement. Removes ambiguity.

Remember if by chance there's been body repairs and work is sub par, the fender (wing) or quarter panel lips can be deceiving.

Also gross deviations in camber left/right can do such, albeit by a large margin.

#25 ·
Your difference 'is' probably normal. Looks to be about 1/2" difference? As said, get in car and then measure deviation...bet it won't be there.

Back when bmw cared about driving, they balanced the car for you--assuming you'll be in it. :)

...and measure like Don suggested in case it's too far off.

I've seen this question a thousand times here (literally). Ugh...I'm not sure I can go through all this again from the beginning. :)

#26 ·
Your difference 'is' probably normal. Looks to be about 1/2" difference? As said, get in car and then measure deviation...bet it won't be there.
Back when bmw cared about driving, they balanced the car for you--assuming you'll be in it. I've seen this question a thousand times here (literally). Ugh...I'm not sure I can go through all this again from the beginning.
Doug did you miss the part in thread where the OP is from the UK? and that the right side, the driver’s side for a UK build car is where it’s lower. thus when he gets in it should get even lower on that side.

• Sad
Reactions: dmax
#32 ·
I assume you know in the pictures provided you are clearly on a surface that is neither level, nor flat? And it's kind of annoying you were asked for measurements and did not provide them, or even acknowledge that specific offer to help. Having two different tires means they are not the same diameter, btw.

#36 ·
I think when it became obvious from the photos he was parked on an uneven surface, he bailed in embarrassment. No matter what side your country drives on, if you park on an uneven surface for a photo, you will see uneven suspension flexing and I guess he was unaware of that? :unsure:

#37 ·
My 325ci is sitting lower on the rear driver side in comparison to the other sides. I changed the rear coils and springs and it hasn’t made a difference. I have also changed my front springs and shocks. Would anyone have any idea what it may be?
I think when it became obvious from the photos he was parked on an uneven surface, he bailed in embarrassment. No matter what side your country drives on, if you park on an uneven surface for a photo, you will see uneven suspension flexing and I guess he was unaware of that?
considering he changed all these components on the car trying to correct same height prob over time it’s safe to say this one photo wasn’t the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.