E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 325ci is sitting lower on the rear driver side in comparison to the other sides. I changed the rear coils and springs and it hasn’t made a difference. I have also changed my front springs and shocks. Would anyone have any idea what it may be?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,355 Posts
You have a vert, it's probably due to the huge battery

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a vert, it's probably due to the huge battery

It’s very very annoying and only noticed it a few days after I bought the car

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,355 Posts
It’s very very annoying and only noticed it a few days after I bought the car
I believe ( if nothing is wrong with the suspension) that's your issue, the battery. You can check if there is a broken spring coil also though

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,355 Posts
I'll leave other cabrio owners to answer that , as mine is a coupe. But in the meantime you can also check the springs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe ( if nothing is wrong with the suspension) that's your issue, the battery. You can check if there is a broken spring coil also though

Will check with my mechanic, thanks for the quick response! Appreciate it!

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,355 Posts
This comes up every 5-6 months. It's completely normal. Many say it is indeed the battery and once a 150-lb driver gets behind the wheel, it levels out.
Yeah, that battery must weigh 30 kilos. It's weird BMW didn't compensate with a different spring rate though, if that's the case

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
939 Posts
This comes up every 5-6 months. It's completely normal. Many say it is indeed the battery and once a 150-lb driver gets behind the wheel, it levels out.
Except the OP is in the UK, so sitting in the driver's seat makes it worse...

But, yes, many E46s seem to do it when the springs get old. My Touring did, my coupe doesn't anymore since I fitted a lighter AGM battery and new springs. I see @Ryhan1995 that you've already replaced the springs though. One thing some people do is fit a thicker spring pad that side, to level it out a bit. The standard lower pads are 5mm thickness but the 10mm pad from the E36 fits - part number 33 53 1 136 387 - which will raise it about 7mm.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,802 Posts
In order to better help you, can you kindly provide me with a "ride height measurement"?
Please measure in MM the distance from the bottom of the wheel lip to the arch of the body, same way both sides and report back your findings.
Be sure to measure through the center of the wheel. The crosshairs of the Roundel are your guide.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,526 Posts
do both your rear tires match???
because one is a “SportWay 57” and the other says “FarRoad 21”

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
My 325ci is sitting lower on the rear driver side in comparison to the other sides. I changed the rear coils and springs and it hasn’t made a difference. I have also changed my front springs and shocks. Would anyone have any idea what it may be? View attachment 935818 View attachment 935819

POINT OF ORDER
It's lower on the right side than the left.

Having said that, lower on one side USUALLY means a broken spring.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My sagging issue was by the right rear strut going bad. Then after some drag pulls it completely failed, leaked all over the driveway for a week.

If you forgot something or left something out, maybe the spring pad, maybe possible to overlook something. I’ve made plenty of “attempts” on plenty of challenges.

Maybe also a production issue in the springs, an OE recycled set of springs and new pads would be my choice if I had to address this issue. parts hold up well in our Florida boneyards.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,526 Posts
My sagging issue was by the right rear strut going bad.
Maybe also a production issue in the springs, an OE recycled set of springs and new pads would be my choice if I had to address this issue.
think you mean rear “shock” not “rear strut”.
OP stated he changed the springs already trying to fix.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts