E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2005 325ci that leaks power steering fluid so I put a tray under my car at night so it doesn’t get on the driveway. This morning however, I noticed the pan seemed full of liquid. I pull out the tray and there’s a MASSIVE amount of blue-greenish liquid in the pan (picture below). What could be the cause of leaking THAT much liquid at once? The coolant light turned on for the first time the previous day, but there were no signs of liquid leaking. I greatly appreciate any help that I may receive, thank you.
Water Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Tar

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Also check the temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose, it has an O-ring that eventually leaks, BMW Part number for the o-ring I believe is 13621743299
The complete sensor and o-ring is about $15
I bought a second sensor originally (comes with the o-ring usually), now I replace the o-ring and just do a quick sensor swap

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE I filled up the coolant reservoir and cranked the car on. Coolant light turned off but it started leaking immediately. Ran hot very quickly as well. I found where the leaks were coming from, now I need to see what exactly I’m looking at.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also check the temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose, it has an O-ring that eventually leaks, BMW Part number for the o-ring I believe is 13621743299
The complete sensor and o-ring is about $15
I bought a second sensor originally (comes with the o-ring usually), now I replace the o-ring and just do a quick sensor swap
Thank you, I’ll do some more research on this. The hose in the middle of this pic was leaking that green colored fluid when I let the car run idle. The blue coolant was leaking from a bit higher, somewhere in the area of the coolant tank I believe.
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
Is that tape I see on that hose ?
Your leak will be pretty obvious.

you might consider changing all your hoses if age of your cooling system is uncertain..

I don’t know if you are doing this yourself..if you do be extra careful to bleed it properly

also read up on how to unlock cluster to show actual coolant temps while driving…

looks like you have a torn tie-rod boot also..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that tape I see on that hose ?
Your leak will be pretty obvious.

you might consider changing all your hoses if age of your cooling system is uncertain..

I don’t know if you are doing this yourself..if you do be extra careful to bleed it properly

also read up on how to unlock cluster to show actual coolant temps while driving…

looks like you have a torn tie-rod boot also..
I don’t think it’s tape, and if it is, it wasn’t by my doing. I’ll be sure to research revamping my entire coolant system before starting on it. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2001 BMW 330ci - 5 Speed - 3.0 - 229k Miles - 03/2001
243 Posts
That also seems to be two types of coolant mixed together which may cause premature failure of cooling system parts. Definitely concur with the rest of the posters, this cooling system is in dire need of a refresh. There are a few guides and part lists here on the forum, you can find one of them linked in my signature and always remember

"Aftermarket-Kühlsystem Teile sind strengstens verboten".

Cooling systems are one of the major priorities with maintaining these cars, absolutely paramount you keep it in order.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
I own a 2005 325ci that leaks power steering fluid so I put a tray under my car at night so it doesn’t get on the driveway.
Leaking power steering fluid will kill coolant hoses.
My bet the so-called massive leak is from the heater returning hose to the rear side of the tank: the steering fluid swelled the hose o-ring -- so big that it popped the plastic retaining ring and half of the pregnant o-ring now is outside the hose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't waste time on replace the coolant hose unless the power steering reservoir leaking is fixed first.
I think the reservoir smaller hose is harden, and cracked.
The power steering leak is my next task to tackle, but I need to at least get my car back into operational status so I just bought a replacement lower coolant hose. Hopefully it fixes the leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The power steering leak is my next task to tackle, but I need to at least get my car back into operational status so I just bought a replacement lower coolant hose. Hopefully it fixes the leak.
It is a shot in the dark but, the transmission fluid radiator is under the power steering reservoir. So if you aren't seeing anything wrong with the power steering that would be my next thing to check. Again, just a shot in the dark.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
UPDATE The lower expansion tank hose was cooked.
Not cooked, but pregnanted by the steering ATF as I had guessed.
Well, in this case you might need to have a diaper around the leaking senior (steering hose). Hint: if no diaper then wedge a folded paper towel between the leaking hose and the alternator body to catch the oil from impregnating the coolant hose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
UPDATE The new coolant hose fit. I filled it up with some more coolant but the car still runs hot after a short trip to the bank. The water pump is the next thing I’m suspecting is still causing it overheat so rapidly and drastically. I also didn’t see anymore coolant leaking.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts