E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004, 325ci Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im new to the forum, im 18 and have recently bought my first car, I want to learn about the engine of my convertible 325ci, and also mod it's body a bit, im not sure what body mods look good on a convertible, any ideas?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maintenance first. Engine oil, Transmission oil, differential oil, coolant flush, brake fluid, power steering fluid, should all be done when buying a used car. Next I would consider brakes, tires, serpentine belt, battery, etc. Do you see where I'm going? Mods should be your last priority to be honest but that's just my opinion. Welcome to e46fanatics!

·
Registered
01/2001 325cic 240,000
148 Posts
Don't forget to get yourself a k+dcan cable and install INPA on an old laptop (find BaliDawg's signature). You'll need it to diagnose the convertible module.

Couldn't imagine body-modding these modern classics. They ooze style in the stock format.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
933 Posts
The factory sport bodykit (aka ZHP in the US) from the coupe also looks good on the convertible. Replica bumpers are available. I'm another who really doesn't like aftermarket mods, but then it was a long time since I was 18... Whatever you do, hope you enjoy owning it. Awesome first car.

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
308 Posts
Agreed with others about more pressing things to spend money on. And agreed with the above poster, after maintenance is sorted M-Tech II (ZHP) bumpers really freshen up our facelift coupes. And replacing all the chrome with black wrapped or shadowline trim, but that would be about it

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport Auto, Mystic Blue, 80k Miles
445 Posts
Good for you and great first car. These cars are meant to be understated cool cruisers. Keep it original and it'll be easier to fix, when you bend it and you will.

·
Registered
2004, 325ci Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maintenance first. Engine oil, Transmission oil, differential oil, coolant flush, brake fluid, power steering fluid, should all be done when buying a used car. Next I would consider brakes, tires, serpentine belt, battery, etc. Do you see where I'm going? Mods should be your last priority to be honest but that's just my opinion. Welcome to e46fanatics!
Yea your right, definitely need to do stuff engine wise first, just got a bit excited 😁😁, thanks im excited for the future of this car as im going into college with it.

·
Registered
2004, 325ci Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't forget to get yourself a k+dcan cable and install INPA on an old laptop (find BaliDawg's signature). You'll need it to diagnose the convertible module.

Couldn't imagine body-modding these modern classics. They ooze style in the stock format.
Thanks for that, I will definitely, where is the best place to buy it? Also yes the car does look fantastic stock.

·
Super Moderator
1,986 Posts
I have two of these...its a great car...After you get it good mechanical shape, I would suggest you consider the following to tidy it up:

-center armrest and driver's door armrest if worn /stained -An auto upholstery place can fix
  • replace speakers with BSW kit...they are tired
  • if you want to try a new trim set, you can find them on ebay - different wood, brushed alum, cube (zhp), etc.

I often use the OEM cover that covers just the open cockpit with the top down. BMW part # 82110027059 (looks back ordered) . Use only in a safe area and not in the rain. I try to keep the top down as much as possible.

If you want to add the optional hard top, you will need some hardware for the body that can be hard to find.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Beautiful car brother and definitely save some dollars for the maintenance on that beauty. Look into some CSL wheels if you're really looking to mod - they look gorgeous and maintain a factory+ look on the car. Happy tuning.

Reactions: Mrc.214

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
942 Posts
Would definitely look at ZHP bumpers, ZHP Spoiler Lip and CSL wheels or even Apex ARC8 (but that's cause im biased) will give you an extremely clean OEM+ look

Reactions: Mrc.214

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
933 Posts
Call me a purist but I just think the stock front bumper is far better looking. The ZHP bumpers just look cheap and aftermarket.
That's the stock bumper for the pre-facelift though. The stock bumper on the facelift is one only its mother could love.

edit - also your sport bumper pic is from the sedan. The coupe/convertible sport bumpers had no black rubbing strips ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts