BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 325ci with a manual transmission

I wanted to know if it would make a difference if I tried to swap another engine, just with lower miles, but coming from an automatic car?

Will the bell housing, etc. bolt up the same or would I have to do a conversion?

·
Registered
174 Posts
What engine are you thinking on using? Same engine as your 325ci? Most swaps are done for the following reasons:
- Original engine overheated/died, so replace with same spec engine.
- Swap a bigger or more powerful engine for, well, more power.
- Exclusiveness or uniqueness of having an engine that was not provide to the public, such as a M3 engine swapped in a touring.

How many miles on your current engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What engine are you thinking on using? Same engine as your 325ci? Most swaps are done for the following reasons:
- Original engine overheated/died, so replace with same spec engine.
- Swap a bigger or more powerful engine for, well, more power.
- Exclusiveness or uniqueness of having an engine that was not provide to the public, such as a M3 engine swapped in a touring.

How many miles on your current engine?
I want to swap my engine for the same one. My engine currently has 196k on it and is burning a lot of oil and has some other issues. I want to buy another engine for around $1000 and just drop it in.

I just wanted to know if there was a difference with whether the engine i buy comes from a manual or automatic car. (My car is manual)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I want to swap my engine for the same one. My engine currently has 196k on it and is burning a lot of oil and has some other issues. I want to buy another engine for around $1000 and just drop it in.

I just wanted to know if there was a difference with whether the engine i buy comes from a manual or automatic car. (My car is manual)
No difference in the engine itself. The automatic engine may have a mechanical cooling fan still attached (not used in manual cars).

Swapping an engine is not a quick job. You may as well swap in a M54B30 from a 330.

$1000 is more than I would pay for any M54 engine.

Sold a M54B30 with 200000km for $500cad not too long ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No difference in the engine itself. The automatic engine may have a mechanical cooling fan still attached (not used in manual cars).

Swapping an engine is not a quick job. You may as well swap in a M54B30 from a 330.

$1000 is more than I would pay for any M54 engine.

Sold a M54B30 with 200000km for $500cad not too long ago.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the help. The engine i was look at has 82k on it. What is a good price to pay for an engine of this milage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts