E46 Fanatics Forum banner

323i Touring (Selena)

80K views 542 replies 37 participants last post by  tbouchard991 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys! Here's my E46 323i Wagon (2000)! She's been in the family since around 2003 with 49,000 miles on the ODO when my parents purchased it for $19,000USD. It has been sitting since 2014, drove probably couple times in 2016. But it's been sitting for quite a bit. (This is an issue when your dad has 7 cars in the driveway). I'm beyond thrilled that it has been passed down to me. I grew up in the back seat. I always loved the E46 chassis, but specifically the touring. Currently has 119,200 miles. Everything is original. There's quite a bit of work that needs to be done. Already dumped 1,500 miles since late August. I will be putting her in storage for winter, living in Upstate New York is brutal on vehicles during Winter. Anyway here is the current projects and future project!

Some Info:
Paint is quite rough, there is a couple dent's on the roof from an outside garage collapsing on it one winter, pretty deep scratches around the rear and front.

Current Repair List:
- Replace Brake Light Switch
- Replace Struts/Springs
- Fluid Flush on Everything

Completed Repairs:
- Change Front Right Corner Light Socket (it got corroded)
  • Change Wiper Blades haven't been changed since actually not sure
  • Radio not turning on (fuse behind radio was blown)

Future Plans:
- Double Din Radio
  • Remove Roof Rack
  • Bit of bodywork to do, might need a good paint correction and some spots resprayed, including some surface rust to deal with.
  • Give the interior a good clean, including leather seats.
  • Change Corner Lenses, Side Markers, Rear Tail Lights to Euro Spec
  • E46 Sport Steering Wheel, Current looks outdated.
  • New set of wheels, current ones are a bit curbed rashed, and I never really them.
  • replace front bumper with MTech 1 or 2 Front Bumper.
  • Coilovers

Onto Images;

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Whats new?
- Alignment done
- Battery killed itself, so onto a replacement battery!
- Needs new tires, rear tires are heavily cracked.
- Other then that, she's doing well!
- 120,300 miles on the ODO.

Plans? I'm not sure yet.
- Def upgrade to a Double Din Radio.
- Get a new right railing, since current one is damaged, and bent.
- New Tires all around
- Find a new set of rims

#11 ·
I like the new wheels!

I've got an M3 steering wheel that I've been meaning to have re-wrapped so I can finally install it. When I do I'll have a spare sport wheel which I'd be happy to let go of, I'll try to remember to PM you when that time comes!

#14 ·
On other news,

1) Neutral Safety Switch Issues, which has been an issue in the past.

2) Also dealing with DSC turning itself off for no reason, which my dad's BOSCH KTS340 can't view the Steering Position Sensor, or Yaw Rate Sensor, so i opt'd to get the BMW's INPA Software to see if i can find why it's causing the DSC to just go off for no reason.

3) Right Front Caliper is kinda sticking sometimes, but it comes and goes, will have to rebuild it.

4) Slight exhaust leak.

That's on the list of repairs.

#16 ·
News:
- Bought a Double Din Radio (EONON GA9150B)(HVAC Relocation Kit). It's time to replace the factory radio!
- Changed out the headlight covers. Cleaned up the front end, and compliments the Clear Turn Signals much better!
- Replacing the Active Yaw Sensor Eventually, just need to take the seat out of the driver side.

- After digging around the E46 Forums, and Bimmerworld; i will be removing the roof rack (DIY), besides one of them is quite damaged and bent inward. Also, it's crazy how expensive the trim pieces for roof rack removal is. The total is up to $800+ :eek:, for left and right trim piece! 10 years ago they were $60 for each side!

#18 · (Edited)
I'll DIY it! I found on eBay this, (For 1999-2005 BMW E46 3 SERIES BLACK ROOF TOP TRIM MOLDING KIT)

Depending if there is a gasket from the adapter for the roof railing, ill use the gasket and rescrew in the screws without the adapter, or plug up the hole a different way if there isn't a gasket, and afterward ill apply trim kit on the original trim, and it wont look as crappy as having electrical tape covering up the hole.

#22 · (Edited)
News! I finally changed the yaw rate sensor that was acting up, found a used one for $30, brand new they are like $400! Went on a test drive and DSC it was fine, but this will be over time to see if this issue is resolved! You can def tell on the bracket there was some sort of water that got to it. There was a point where the window gasket had a failure and it rained a couple times and water got into the floor well, wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for the yaw rate sensor to go a-wire.

Should be getting the new radio friday, or around there, i will post install pictures and how it looks when its all installed!

#25 ·
#29 ·
Well, I'm not sure what they will tell you if you show up with a different steering wheel that needs a different airbag than the VIN calls for...

Good luck. Let us know. Best bet is probably to play stupid. Ultimately they need to sign off that the car is safe as far as airbags go - probably.

#31 ·
Most likely my Auxiliary Fan is dead, my AC hasn't worked all summer but hasn't really bother me, doesn't turn on at all, and my FSR is on its way out. On that note ill be replacing the FSR, and i will delete the Aux Fan and the Mechanical Fan to an Electric Fan. Should be a good mod for the long run.

#34 · (Edited)
Have pictures?

Onto Updates!

I finally fixed my airbag light after changing the steering wheel. When i bought the wheel one of the tabs was missing from the second stage connector. I didn't think it was a "big deal", after i installed the sport wheel. Until I connected the battery back up, and got a "Airbag driver stage 2 - plausibility error" I honestly scratched my head, and there wasn't much information on the forums, i cleaned the contacts as-well, that didn't fix the issue.

I took the airbag out again, and out of fun i took the driver stage 1 tab from the connector and put it to driver stage 2. I got a "driver stage 1 - plausibility error". Well Gosh Darn! That's what the issue was! I messaged the fella i bought the wheel from, and he had a couple spare sport wheels, and he priority shipped the clip, i installed the clip, opened up BMW Scanner 1.4, and looked into the airbags, and "Airbag driver stage 2 - plausibility error" went from Fault Currently Present to Fault Currently Not Present. I cleared the code, and the airbag light went away!

My next step is go to a BMW Dealer and go for that airbag recall!

:clap:

Everything is good!

Missing piece to the puzzle!

#36 ·
I am currently contemplating if i should replace the original antenna with a shark fin antenna.
Your roofline is so sleek and clean, I would think the shark fin would negate that!

Looks like this project is coming along nicely. I'm not usually a fan of wheels with bulkier spokes but it looks great with the rest of your wagon.

#40 · (Edited)
I replaced the coilpack on cylinder 1 which resolved the misfire, now its running fantastic! Next plan is replacing the K&N Oiled Filter on the K&N Intake Tube to an AEM Dry. My poor MAF won't be having any more issues with a dry filter, as-well ill clean the MAF. Should be all set! I also installed a dash cam from EONON, which was sent for free!