E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to be doing a swap on my 323 I'm really not that familiar with engines n stuff. I know it can be done I read one of your pages MIT something did it. If you guys have any ideas of what all I'm going to be needing that would be great. I'm starting to order parts n stuff now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the money for the M3 and I know it can be done cuz I've been researching and I've seen how MITE46 has done it so I know I can

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't have the money for the M3 and I know it can be done cuz I've been researching and I've seen how MITE46 has done it so I know I can
If you don't have the money for an M3, then you won't have the money for all of the parts required for a full M3 conversion. Nevermind the fact that you don't seem to have the experience or technical knowledge that will be necessary...it's not a 2-hour DIY.

·
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
13,101 Posts
I'm really not that familiar with engines n stuff. .
Oxymoron: You don't know much about engines and technical stuff, but you rely on someone's picture story that you are able to redo it yourself?

And THEN you say you have no cash to buy an M3? Do you even realize how much money was invested my MITE46 to do the DIY?

If you haven't noticed, MITE46 knew what he was doing and knew what parts he needed, meaning he was aware of how much money was needed for the project. I am pretty sure that more money was involved than what an E46 M3 currently costs after selling your 323.

A piece of advice: I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you don't have the money for an M3, then you won't have the money for all of the parts required for a full M3 conversion. Nevermind the fact that you don't seem to have the experience or technical knowledge that will be necessary...it's not a 2-hour DIY.
+1

its one thing if you can do all the stuff yourself, because then you could get the parts and not pay for labor, but with parts and labor...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Just buy an M3... With all the M3 power, you need suspension, and everything else so it doesn't "break" your 323... After it is all said and done, you will end up spending close to a real M3 anyways... Do research and you will see...

·
Halfway to 2L
2,176 Posts
don't let all these haters discourage you. If you know you can do it, you can!

:eek:

·
13,101 Posts
+1

its one thing if you can do all the stuff yourself, because then you could get the parts and not pay for labor, but with parts and labor...
M3 parts > M3 minus his 323. Even without labour.

-Engine
-Transmission
-ECU/Software
-crank+LSD
-Suspension
-Brakes
-CLuster
-ALL the wiring and accessories.

Just forget it, class of 2009.

·
Halfway to 2L
2,176 Posts
M3 parts > M3 minus his 323. Even without labour.

-Engine
-Transmission
-ECU/Software
-crank+LSD
-Suspension
-Brakes
-CLuster
-ALL the wiring and accessories.

Just forget it, class of 2009.
I don't see why he needs to be on drugs to do it....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you read all of MITE46 you'll see that he did the swap cuz he didn't have the money to buy an M3 outright... huh... and once again if you do your research you'll realize that MITE46 didn't have any real mechanical experience either when he started out... I'm going to be doing it all with a friend who has his own garage just for fun.... time I have plenty of... and remshot11 I'm actually looking at getting another BMW to drive while I do the swap on this.... thanks for your advice guys... davidwarren thanks for your support man!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you read all of MITE46 you'll see that he did the swap cuz he didn't have the money to buy an M3 outright... huh... and once again if you do your research you'll realize that MITE46 didn't have any real mechanical experience either when he started out... I'm going to be doing it all with a friend who has his own garage just for fun.... time I have plenty of... and remshot11 I'm actually looking at getting another BMW to drive while I do the swap on this.... thanks for your advice guys... davidwarren thanks for your support man!!!
good luck. keep us doubters posted.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You'll need a motor......and overnight parts....from Japan!!!!!

:eeps:

·
13,101 Posts
There is a difference in buying an M3 "outright" and building around on your 323, buying new parts while you're doing it for over a year. Let's not forget that we are talking about a tie when the E46 M3 was still the current model and probably around double the value it has nowadays. But if you have the time, money, patience and another DD to use for the time span, more power to you.

As far as I remember when following the DIY, MITE46 pretty much listed everything he bought new in the whole process, so it should be relatively easy to make a list of parts you'll need. Then start checking the prices. Then check what tools you'll need to buy, and add that to your shopping list. Then check the labour costs for the things you can't do, and add that to your list.

Then go look what a decent priced M3 costs, and how much you can get for your 323.

And look if it's still worth it, guttering the resale value of your OEM car, instead of having a genuine M3.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts