BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2000 323i that was having some transmission issues. Its the GM auto. It had been having trouble shifting sometimes and the fault light would come on. I did the transmission service with Redline D4, seemed to shift better for a while but the problem came back 100 miles or so later and its worse than before. Started throwing a P0733 code so... :banghead:

There a few things I am going to try. I am thinking I will get one of the USB to OBD-II wires that can talk to the transmission computer using INPA Ediabas. I was looking at this one, seems it will need to be modified for the E46 but the price is right....

https://www.amazon.com/JahyShow-Ediabas-Interface-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B01H825MV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507597396&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+k%2Bdcan&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

I am not sure if the cheapo one will work or blow up. :hmm: Anyone have experience with that and can point me at a cable that will work?

I have been reading that the MAF can cause issues as well as a weak alternator or battery. I would like to investigate these things before I swap the transmission.

I would do the manual swap but the car belongs to my wife, and she insist it stays an automatic. I have an auto transmission along with the computer, torque converter, wires, driveshaft and other stuff from a ~2003 325ci suffering a coolant system explosion and title loan.

I found a post about someone going from a ZF to a GM auto but I have not been able to find a post about someone going the other way. Have any of you done this?

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
Stick with the GM tranny as the swap is a lot of work. The tranny computer (EGS) may have to be swapped. Did you change the filter when you swapped the fluid? Also, did you fill the tranny using the proper procedures? The tranny has to be in a certain temperature range when you check the fluid level. There’s a YouTube vid on this.

The P0733 may be a bad shift solenoid. I think changing the solenoid isn’t that tough once the pan is off. Search.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
I have an 2000 323i that was having some transmission issues. Its the GM auto. It had been having trouble shifting sometimes and the fault light would come on. I did the transmission service with Redline D4, seemed to shift better for a while but the problem came back 100 miles or so later and its worse than before. Started throwing a P0733 code so... :banghead:

There a few things I am going to try. I am thinking I will get one of the USB to OBD-II wires that can talk to the transmission computer using INPA Ediabas. I was looking at this one, seems it will need to be modified for the E46 but the price is right....

https://www.amazon.com/JahyShow-Ediabas-Interface-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B01H825MV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507597396&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+k%2Bdcan&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

I am not sure if the cheapo one will work or blow up. :hmm: Anyone have experience with that and can point me at a cable that will work?

I have been reading that the MAF can cause issues as well as a weak alternator or battery. I would like to investigate these things before I swap the transmission.

I would do the manual swap but the car belongs to my wife, and she insist it stays an automatic. I have an auto transmission along with the computer, torque converter, wires, driveshaft and other stuff from a ~2003 325ci suffering a coolant system explosion and title loan.

I found a post about someone going from a ZF to a GM auto but I have not been able to find a post about someone going the other way. Have any of you done this?
Go on eBay and get the cheapest cable you can find
Here's the software: forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1126314

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I worked out the problem.
I checked the level and it was low. Initially I thought perhaps I never filled it up enough, so I topped it off and the transmission worked fine for about two more weeks before having shift issues again. I pulled the transmission codes, intermittent slipping on third and fourth. Checked the level and it was low again. I re-torqued all the bolts holding the pan on and bought a new o-ring for the fill plug. After filling it I have had zero issues.

I purchased a kit that came with the seal and a filter and new bolts. It did not come with new seals for the drain and fill plugs. In hind sight I should have inspected the plugs more carefully and noticed that the o-ring needed to be replaced. I would also recommend using a decent quality pan seal as the one that came with my kit is a floppy rubber strip. None of this stuff is worth cheaping out on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts