E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to give a review to help the lowly 323 owners that are contemplating removing their resonators. I removed both of my resonators yesterday for $100, and I was offered to remove only one resonator for $30. The shop was skeptical about removing the second resonator (one closer to the engine) because he thought it was a cat and not a resonator. The car sounds much better now. I have a SuperSprint DTM exhaust, and before I could not hear anything from the exhaust (aka: SuperSilent). Now the exhaust can be heard upon acceleration. The car does not drone at all, and the exhaust can barely (and I mean barely) be heard when the windows are rolled up. The exhaust note is pretty deep, is not that loud by any means, and gives a really mean initial growl when started up. I was looking for a sound that was noticable, but wasn't going to give me a headache or get everyone's attention. I think cutting off both resonators did this. Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i did the same thing to my car...except i got a 328ci...the sound might be a little different but still i'm very happy with it. no annoying droning and plenty of deep bass exhaust when i accelerate quickly

·
Registered
0 Posts
louder

you might regret that. I have ss and one resonator removed and it's getting louder over time as the ss exhaust breaks in.
just my two cents

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Post a sound clip.

HamannPerformance said:
I just wanted to give a review to help the lowly 323 owners that are contemplating removing their resonators. I removed both of my resonators yesterday for $100, and I was offered to remove only one resonator for $30. The shop was skeptical about removing the second resonator (one closer to the engine) because he thought it was a cat and not a resonator. The car sounds much better now. I have a SuperSprint DTM exhaust, and before I could not hear anything from the exhaust (aka: SuperSilent). Now the exhaust can be heard upon acceleration. The car does not drone at all, and the exhaust can barely (and I mean barely) be heard when the windows are rolled up. The exhaust note is pretty deep, is not that loud by any means, and gives a really mean initial growl when started up. I was looking for a sound that was noticable, but wasn't going to give me a headache or get everyone's attention. I think cutting off both resonators did this. Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have installed a SS exhaust recently. And it is really super silent.......
i am thinking of removing one of the resonators too.
eidsta323, so do you think it is too loud with one resonator removed? will the tone be different or juz louder?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Like eidsta323 said, the exhaust WILL take time to break-in... month or more? Depends on how u drive ur car i guess...

·
Registered
124 Posts
mine was actually a used exhaust.... so i think it has been broken in already

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I don't have a digital camcorder. My exhaust is going to get as loud as it gets. I have had it for over two years and it is fully broken in. I am happy with the sound :thumbup: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts