BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are fixing up my son's new-to-him E46 and the LEDs do not move with the gear shift. P, 4, 3 are always lit. When we pulled the cover we found two very thin black plastic strips about 1.25 cm wide hanging from it.

I realize that a new cover is likely needed, but has anyone seen this before and know if we can fix the issue and where these strips come from and whether they can be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Geiger

PS - I just figured out the two pieces are actually a broken belt then wraps around the LED assembly. (See third picture) Time to order part #51168196116

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just fixed mine using a macguyver technique?
I used a dremel to trim the 6 points of connection for the slider and the cover, an old VCR tapeI taped to piece of wood and cut to proper width), some instant glue and my soldering iron to melt the tape to the original landing. Not allot of heat. Just enough to melt the tape, glue and landing. It appeared a previous owner had spilled their cafe latte in there and the slides were all sticky so I tore them apart one by one and cleaned them up with hondaline cleaner/polish. Used same glue and a tack of heat to reaffix the slider to cover and voila. Fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts