E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a quick run down video on some issues with my 00' 323ci.
Suffered some overheating exposure
Rough start
Squeeking belt
Leaks antifreeze near the headers
Loud engine knock
Clouds of smoke from tip
Watch le vid :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4sjNgX2icc

Comment your opinion.
I was leaning towards a swap.
But my diff has a rattle also so I might part.
:ben:
a_

·
Registered
879 Posts
White smoke means coolant is leaking into your heads I believe. Possible bad head gasket.

And that is coolant leaking onto ground. Could be from anywhere.

Take this to a professional, you will not get the service you need here.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Smoke Clouds mean that the engine is igniting oil, and then burning it. To most fanatics, this means a bad CCV system. However, with amounts like this, it probably means that your head gasket is fried. Coolant leaking near the exhaust manifold also means that the head gasket is dead, because the engine can no longer keep the coolant and oil in a closed system. Check your coolant to see if oil is in there. If so, bad head gasket for sure. It could be bad head gasket even if not, but this is a quick verification. DO NOT run the car again, get it towed to the dealership or independent mechanic for some serious work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And that is coolant leaking onto ground. Could be from anywhere.
I show the leak location in the video, from near exhaust manifold.

Smoke Clouds mean that the engine is igniting oil, and then burning it. To most fanatics, this means a bad CCV system. ...
Check your coolant to see if oil is in there.
I may have both issues, bad ccv and blown head-gasket.
No oil in my coolant though.

Yeh
:tsk:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,648 Posts
What exactly, was this 'overheating exposure'?

So...only hope I can offer...are you sure the dripping fluid getting onto headers is coolant and not washer fluid?

If the ccv is bad, you'd be putting out smoke...though honestly, you have a good bit of it.

Not knowing the history of the car or your maintenance, it's hard to guess, but that really doesn't look too good. Still, you could just have a collection of related issues coming together making you think head/head gasket, when it really isn't that.

If that smoke on exhaust side is coolant, though, only thing I can think is it's leaking from the engine...but check things out...if it's an oil smell, that's a really bad vcg leak.

...a little hope, I hope!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.