E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best intake to get for a 323ci? Yes i understand I’ll never be faster than a 330, i dont care the car is good enough for a budget drift car, i dont want to spend 400 dollars for an intake. I dont care about sound either only care about performance. Yes i know ill gain little to no horsepower. Let me know what you guys reccomend. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
2,085 Posts
Good: M54B25 inlet manifold
Better: M54B30 inlet manifold
Best: M50 inlet manifold.

All really need a tune to get the best performance improvements.

There is plenty of internet information on all these options to help you decide. How strong is your Goolge-Fu?

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Whatever you end up with I have 2 key talking points on "cold" air intakes.

#1: No oiled air filter elements. They will get oil on the MAF sensor and cause running issues.

#2: Make sure you have at least 4"-6" of tubing between the air filter and the MAF sensor. This helps get the airflow straightened out and provides more consistent readings from the MAF sensor.

Some type of shield is also a good idea to try to keep it isolated from the hotter under hood ambient air. You can keep the factory duct from the top of the radiator in place to help direct fresh air to the new intake.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Only intake worth putting on is the genuine BMW performance intake for 325/330.

Save your cash. Or buy a cheap universal one without the support holding it up, and see if you really like it that much.

·
Premium Member
'02 330i 5 Speed and '02 330i Auto
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good: M54B25 inlet manifold
Better: M54B30 inlet manifold
Best: M50 inlet manifold.

All really need a tune to get the best performance improvements.

There is plenty of internet information on all these options to help you decide. How strong is your Goolge-Fu?
I guess i just cant really find anything on 323’s and im not used to all parts being interchangeable, all these e46’s are like interchangeable puzzles lol, thank you though!!

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatever you end up with I have 2 key talking points on "cold" air intakes.

#1: No oiled are filter elements. They will get oil on the MAF sensor and cause running issues.

#2: Make sure you have at least 4"-6" of tubing between the air filter and the MAF sensor. This helps get the airflow straightened out and provides more consistent readings from the MAF sensor.

So type of shield is also a good idea to try to keep it isolated from the hotter under hood ambient air. You can keep the factory duct from the top of the radiator in place to help direct fresh air to the new intake.
Thanks!! Will look into what would be a better option for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Factory air filter box is already a cold air intake. Don't change anything, bmw spent alot of $ on R&D to get it right. You want performance get a good set of sticky tires and drive it like it was supposed to be driven, fast in the corners not on the straights.

·
Registered
2006 330 Convertible
309 Posts
  • Help me fix my car before i junk it
  • Help me with mods!!
  • I hate my car… lol
  • Transmission fluid
  • Turbo 323ci??

These are posts you have started. When I saw those, I thought of this tee shirt:

Sky Font Magenta Darkness Brand

You might want to slow down and forget any mods until the car is problem free and maintenance is done.

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
  • Help me fix my car before i junk it
  • Help me with mods!!
  • I hate my car… lol
  • Transmission fluid
  • Turbo 323ci??

These are posts you have started. When I saw those, I thought of this tee shirt:

View attachment 954892

You might want to slow down and forget any mods until the car is problem free and maintenance is done.
Lmaoooo I honestly agree with you 100% i definitely need to take a step back and just do all my maintenance

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,977 Posts
Factory air filter box is already a cold air intake. Don't change anything, bmw spent alot of $ on R&D to get it right. You want performance get a good set of sticky tires and drive it like it was supposed to be driven, fast in the corners not on the straights.
BMW stock intake is a COMPROMISE of several factors. it is not the best intake for performance because of this. BMW even released another intake more focused on street performance in their BMW PERFORMANCE line intake.after many tuners released their own improved intakes.

so our BMWs were designed not to be driven fast on the straights??

·
Registered
149 Posts
BMW stock intake is a COMPROMISE of several factors. it is not the best intake for performance because of this. BMW even released another intake more focused on street performance in their BMW PERFORMANCE line intake.after many tuners released their own improved intakes.

so our BMWs were designed not to be driven fast on the straights??
Yes the 323 is slow, when you pop the hood theres a m54 not a s54. and any filter that isn't completely sealed off from the engine pulls scorching hot air. I thought this thread was discussing low budget air intakes?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,977 Posts
Yes the 323 is slow, when you pop the hood theres a m54 not a s54. and any filter that isn't completely sealed off from the engine pulls scorching hot air. I thought this thread was discussing low budget air intakes?
actually there’s an M52TU under the 323Ci hood not an M54.
i’ve owned both a 323Ci and M3.
yes it’s about intakes, but correcting mistakes said about them is on topic.

once again, so our BMWs were designed not to be driven fast on the straights??

·
Registered
149 Posts
actually there’s an M52TU under the 323Ci hood not an M54.
i’ve owned both a 323Ci and M3.
yes it’s about intakes, but correcting mistakes said about them is on topic.

once again, so our BMWs were designed not to be driven fast on the straights??
Yes your right I've made a terrible mistake. Now that I think of it I seem to constantly have trouble managing the gas pedal to keep the power down coming out of the corners.

Edit: I have to hand it to you I didn't know BMW made a performance intake and after googling it, it actually looks good. All the other stuff i see on track is always trash, and ive had two instances where one of my drivers has smashed the drivers side headlight which we end up removing. I get in the car and turn the fastest laps of the weekend with a banged up car. Its made me come to the conclusion that cold air is making just a tiny bit more power. My car just has a regular cone filter on it, I keep saying im going to put the stock air box on but I need to relocate oil cooler lines. its now been 3 years and I still haven't done it because what we lack in power we usually make up with driver skill & pit stops.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,977 Posts
it was supposed to be driven, fast in the corners not on the straights.
car is literally designed to be driven on the German Autobahn. if you haven’t heard of it look it up.

Reactions: kylanjohnson
1 - 18 of 18 Posts