BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has began happening after driving from NY to DC. My car is really slow off the line and begins to jerk while the rpm rises. Once in the higher rpms the car drives normally. I've tried cleaning the maf sensor but haven't seen any changes. What could it be?

·
Registered
154 Posts
check with key in on position but engine not started to see if the check engine light illuminates. How long have you owned this car?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
When was the last time any preventive maintenance was done, as in:

1) Fuel filter
2) Spark plugs
3) Fuel injector cleaner / BG 44k, This one is the strongest; Purchase at Dealer

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spark plugs were changed 8 months ago. I'm guessing it could be the fuel injectors. I'm idling perfecting with no jumping at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clutch isn't slipping at all. Car has 173,000 and until this has been driving like a dream. To my knowledge the tranny was redone around 150k.

Kind of hard to record myself driving.....while driving.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Turn ignition to position 2 for 10 seconds, then turn off for 10 seconds. Then start her up. Chances are that it is something electrical...camshaft position sensor can be failing as well. Make it feel as if throttle body is as big as a half dollar

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turn ignition to position 2 for 10 seconds, then turn off for 10 seconds. Then start her up. Chances are that it is something electrical...camshaft position sensor can be failing as well. Make it feel as if throttle body is as big as a half dollar
I'll try that out. What does that process do(the on/off)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
This maybe a stupid question but I thought I would throw it out there. What gas do you use in the vehicle?

What your describing to me is pinging* or Knocking, which can happen if you are running the cheap 89 Octane gas in the car.

If your running premium, AKA 91 Octane and up, then that rules my best guess out right there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This maybe a stupid question but I thought I would throw it out there. What gas do you use in the vehicle?

What your describing to me is pinging* or Knocking, which can happen if you are running the cheap 89 Octane gas in the car.

If your running premium, AKA 91 Octane and up, then that rules my best guess out right there.
I actually did fill it up with plus AKA 89....

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
89 is still ok. Never 87. I've recently used 93 from now on and it actually didn't matter to me. Just makes me feel better and more beefier power. Ran the 325i on 89 for a year and through the winter. No problems. You lose money(engines tuned for 93) peace of mind, and more power. It also could be relative...I rode in my biological father's 330i zhp and it pulled hard. Then hopped in my 325 and it seemed wimpy...just my opinion. Ride in a suv and gun it...then try your bimmer again

1 - 20 of 48 Posts