E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My car is E46 320D, manufacture year is 2000 (May). M47 engine.

I have the rounded 20 pin connector under the hood. And I already have the 20 pins to 16 pin adapter and BMW scanner with PA soft already working fine.

I want to know what Bluetooth scanner will work the best with my car, as I have seen the scanners for petrol cars do not work with diesel cars.

Does anyone already use a Bluetooth adapter for their 320d, the year 2000 model and if so please send me a link or a picture of your Bluetooth scanner?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Your choice in dongles comes down to whether your car supports OBD2/EOBD or not. It's doubtful a 5/2000 build 320D will support EOBD since the EU didn't require EOBD for diesels until 2004.

There are plenty of ELM compatible bluetooth dongles out there (I'm using a Veepeak one) that will do basic OBD2/EOBD stuff, but I can't think of any that'll do the proprietary BMW stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your choice in dongles comes down to whether your car supports OBD2/EOBD or not. It's doubtful a 5/2000 build 320D will support EOBD since the EU didn't require EOBD for diesels until 2004.

There are plenty of ELM compatible Bluetooth dongles out there (I'm using a Veepeak one) that will do basic OBD2/EOBD stuff, but I can't think of any that'll do the proprietary BMW stuff.
I'm not really sure about the protocol of my car, I think it's ISO 9141, I have used this product, connected via 20pin adapter, but it does not work. (same Bluetooth device worked with Hyundai accent 2001)
Electronic device Product Technology Audio equipment Multimedia

So I'm a bit confused at the moment with which one to buy, I don't want it to read advanced data since my BWM scanner with PA soft already working fine and can program my car with it.
I just want to connect to my android head unit and read some basic data such as RPM, speed, temps and such.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm not really sure about the protocol of my car, I think it's ISO 9141, I have used this product, connected via 20pin adapter, but it does not work. (same Bluetooth device worked with Hyundai accent 2001)
View attachment 783877

So I'm a bit confused at the moment with which one to buy, I don't want it to read advanced data since my BWM scanner with PA soft already working fine and can program my car with it.
I just want to connect to my android head unit and read some basic data such as RPM, speed, temps and such.

Thanks
OBD2/EOBD is a government mandated standard for automotive diagnostics. There are a ton of different variations, and like you've discovered, the E46 often uses the ISO 9141 variant. However, EOBD wasn't mandated for diesel passenger vehicles in the EU until 2004. Australia was even further behind requiring ADR 79/01 in 2006 for gasoline powered vehicles and 2007 for diesel ones. The bluetooth dongle you're using with your Hyundai is an OBD2/EOBD dongle. If it supports ISO 9141 and ISO 14230 but does not work with your car it is very likely that your car does not support EOBD.

PA Soft is using a proprietary BMW protocol that looks like ISO 9141 or ISO 14230 depending on which control unit it's communicating with. To the best of my knowledge there are no ready-to-go bluetooth dongles that support these proprietary protocols. If your car doesn't support EOBD, you're basically SOL. If there was an EOBD compliant version of your engine/DDE combo you could potentially reflash the DDE but you'd want to make sure that no additional emissions equipment would be required.

Earlier OBD2 compliant cars with the 20 pin connector under the hood only wired up the DME to the OBD2 port, but left the other control units accessible only via the 20 pin connector. If you can communicate with PA Soft via the OBD2/EOBD port, this wiring isn't the issue.

1: Some ECUs like MS45.x and ME7.2 use an ISO 14230-like protocol for proprietary communications and may implement OBD2/EOBD in the style of ISO 14230 and not 9141.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 783877

Thanks
OBD2/EOBD is a government mandated standard for automotive diagnostics. There are a ton of different variations, and like you've discovered, the E46 often uses the ISO 9141 variant. However, EOBD wasn't mandated for diesel passenger vehicles in the EU until 2004. Australia was even further behind requiring ADR 79/01 in 2006 for gasoline powered vehicles and 2007 for diesel ones. The bluetooth dongle you're using with your Hyundai is an OBD2/EOBD dongle. If it supports ISO 9141 and ISO 14230 but does not work with your car it is very likely that your car does not support EOBD.

PA Soft is using a proprietary BMW protocol that looks like ISO 9141 or ISO 14230 depending on which control unit it's communicating with. To the best of my knowledge there are no ready-to-go bluetooth dongles that support these proprietary protocols. If your car doesn't support EOBD, you're basically SOL. If there was an EOBD compliant version of your engine/DDE combo you could potentially reflash the DDE but you'd want to make sure that no additional emissions equipment would be required.

Earlier OBD2 compliant cars with the 20 pin connector under the hood only wired up the DME to the OBD2 port, but left the other control units accessible only via the 20 pin connector. If you can communicate with PA Soft via the OBD2/EOBD port, this wiring isn't the issue.

1: Some ECUs like MS45.x and ME7.2 use an ISO 14230-like protocol for proprietary communications and may implement OBD2/EOBD in the style of ISO 14230 and not 9141.
Thank you for the super detailed explanation.

Does that mean there are no compatible Bluetooth dongles for my car or the dongles which support both 9141 and 14230 will support?

BTW, my car is built for the UK, so yes its literally built for the Europe.

Please let me know if there any work around or something, I have tried some jumpings of pins, but so far no luck.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.