E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've purchased a 2005 E46 M3 and I am thinking of tinting the windows but I am not sure if I should go for 32% or 22%. Btw, the M3 comes with light grey interior.

I have 22% on my black GTI but I am thinking that it might be too dark for a Mystic Blue M3, because of the lighter body color?

Anybody with Mystic Blue M3 with 32% or 22% tints that is willing to share experience or maybe a picture of his m3 ?

Comments are welcome ...

Thanks,
denis

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was pulled over recently and they measured how dark my tint was, 33%. They checked it just to be d!cks, the reason I was pulled over was for a license plate light out, I have never had any trouble with it aside from that. I'd also like to hear some opinions as to whether or not I should go darker, here's a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in VA and our cops are notorious for being huge douchebags for small things like tints. Being said, I have 15% tints all the way around except for the windshield and only got pulled over once for it. 70$ ticket isn't too bad. You should go darker I say.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I live in VA and our cops are notorious for being huge douchebags for small things like tints. Being said, I have 15% tints all the way around except for the windshield and only got pulled over once for it. 70$ ticket isn't too bad. You should go darker I say.
Police don't like tinted windows because they cannot see what you are doing behind them. Give them a break. Their job is dangerous enough without having to face the risk that some nut case in a car with tinted windows is going to pull a gun out when he gets pulled over.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Do front windows 22 and rears 32. I did that and never get bothered.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Police don't like tinted windows because they cannot see what you are doing behind them. Give them a break. Their job is dangerous enough without having to face the risk that some nut case in a car with tinted windows is going to pull a gun out when he gets pulled over.
Yes, I was truly a danger to myself, the police, and civilians around me whilst driving home from a long day of work at 10pm on a Wednesday night, doing the speed limit a half mile from my development. And a 70$ ticket is really going to convince those with dark tints to get rid of them. :jack:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes, I was truly a danger to myself, the police, and civilians around me whilst driving home from a long day of work at 10pm on a Wednesday night, doing the speed limit a half mile from my development. And a 70$ ticket is really going to convince those with dark tints to get rid of them. :jack:
You are probably a very decent fellow. But not everybody on the road is. The state pens are full of people that used to drive before they were locked up. Please tell me how a police officer is supposed to know what category you will fall into when he steps out of his cruiser and walks up along side of your car. And not really knowing anything about who or what you are, how is he supposed to feel when he approaches your car and can't see anything of what's going on inside?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe you should be a little more considerate. I recall a incident in Michigan not too long ago when an officer pulled over a four door vehicle along the beach. Although I am not aware for the exact cause of the traffic stop, I do know that all windows on the vehicle had tint w/ the back windows being the darkest. As the officer approached the driver side windown which was rolled down, a person laying in the backseat blasted the officer w/ a shotgun and killed him. I am not against tint, but had the tint not be on that vehicle, the officer could have been more prepared and that individual prob. would have never even thought about doing what he did when the officer walked up.

As someone already stated, the officer does not know how you are, what you have, and what you were doing in the vehicle prior to the stop regardless of what area you are in, the vehicle you were driving or how fast you were going. I believe if you sat in his seat for a few months, mad some felony stops, you too would approach each and every vehicle w/ caution and frustration w/ tints. Until he knows for sure you are a safe person, you are going to be treated otherwise. He too wants to go home w/ to his family at the end of the night...

-Christopher

·
Registered
372 Posts
I do a lot of tint for SUV and pick ups and I can tell you it is BS that police officer give out ticket to 35% tinted cars. The factory tint is about 30%. 35% is lighter then factory tint.
Op, I would do 50% on the M since it is already have minor darkness on it. I did mine 50% and I think is enough. You can always change it if you don't like it right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe you should be a little more considerate. I recall a incident in Michigan not too long ago when an officer pulled over a four door vehicle along the beach. Although I am not aware for the exact cause of the traffic stop, I do know that all windows on the vehicle had tint w/ the back windows being the darkest. As the officer approached the driver side windown which was rolled down, a person laying in the backseat blasted the officer w/ a shotgun and killed him. I am not against tint, but had the tint not be on that vehicle, the officer could have been more prepared and that individual prob. would have never even thought about doing what he did when the officer walked up.

As someone already stated, the officer does not know how you are, what you have, and what you were doing in the vehicle prior to the stop regardless of what area you are in, the vehicle you were driving or how fast you were going. I believe if you sat in his seat for a few months, mad some felony stops, you too would approach each and every vehicle w/ caution and frustration w/ tints. Until he knows for sure you are a safe person, you are going to be treated otherwise. He too wants to go home w/ to his family at the end of the night...

-Christopher
Are you kidding me? He followed me for a good 2 miles, DECIDING TO PULL ME OVER solely for my tints. Not for any other reason. If tinting is soooo dangerous (give me a break, they have spotlights and flashlights) why even pull me over if I'm following all the laws except for the stupid tint law? For the record, my rear is 30%.

Pull me over for it, determine that I'm not the gun toting, drug dealing, mass murdering person (only dangerous people have tints:evil:) give me a warning about the tints and let me go about my night. I live 20 mins from DC where kids are beating people half to death at metro stops. Surely, you can find some real crime to attend to.

Again, my point wasn't to stir up a bunch of anti-cop hatred - it was to point out that even with my dark tints and a overly annoying local pd, I have only been pulled over once with dark tints.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Are you kidding me? He followed me for a good 2 miles, DECIDING TO PULL ME OVER solely for my tints. Not for any other reason.
Usually they run your plate before they pull you over to make sure the car is not stolen, you are not wanted, etc. Your car could've also matched the description for something else that happened earlier in the night.

If tinting is soooo dangerous (give me a break, they have spotlights and flashlights) why even pull me over if I'm following all the laws except for the stupid tint law? For the record, my rear is 30%.
Do you expect them to give you a minimum amount of laws you CAN break before they pull you over? You are breaking the law with tint alone end of story.

Pull me over for it, determine that I'm not the gun toting, drug dealing, mass murdering person (only dangerous people have tints:evil:) give me a warning about the tints and let me go about my night. I live 20 mins from DC where kids are beating people half to death at metro stops. Surely, you can find some real crime to attend to.

Again, my point wasn't to stir up a bunch of anti-cop hatred - it was to point out that even with my dark tints and a overly annoying local pd, I have only been pulled over once with dark tints.
Most do give warnings once they determine you are just a car enthusiast from my experience and not a danger, I wouldn't be surprised if your attitude gave you away and he just felt like being a d*ck and writting you up.

Giving this was your first time too it seems like they are meeting your expectations already and not worrying about tint so much so consider yourself lucky and accept the fact you broke the law and now you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Clearly I have stirred up some very, very serious views on tints and policemen. :drama: I did not realize I was stepping on so many toes.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Clearly I have stirred up some very, very serious views on tints and policemen. :drama: I did not realize I was stepping on so many toes.
It's all good, it's something you wont understand until you have family that could be directly affected. My dad was a police officer for a town that was big with gangs and he's had personal experiences that could've ended a lot different but luck was on his side and a good partner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts