BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Eurowerkz Midwest
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was driving back from Northern MN and saw one of the funniest things I have ever seen. There was a 318i E36 with an M badge on it driving right beside me. The driver looked over and he could tell I was laughing so he slowed way down. I hope he feels stupid for putting an M badge on a car and expecting people to think wow when he's driving a plan ol' E36. Even my wife had to laugh! She doesn't know much about Bimmers but knew that it wasn't an ///M. Just thought I would share a funny story with you all.

·
Banned
277 Posts
C Digital 323CI said:
Hey everyone,

I was driving back from Northern MN and saw one of the funniest things I have ever seen. There was a 318i E36 with an M badge on it driving right beside me. The driver looked over and he could tell I was laughing so he slowed way down. I hope he feels stupid for putting an M badge on a car and expecting people to think wow when he's driving a plan ol' E36. Even my wife had to laugh! She doesn't know much about Bimmers but knew that it wasn't an ///M. Just thought I would share a funny story with you all.

...I saw a Honda civic like a 1996 one with a BMW roundell on the trunk...WTF?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
A lot of peeps put the M badge on non M BMWs. That doen NOT have to mean that they are trying to fake an M, some just do it to support the M (MOTORSPORT) division and NOT M (MUSCLE). So, please stop being such ding dongs and let them be !

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
There was an ///M package for the e36 318ti. It had upgraded suspension, some M styling cues, and I can't remember what else. I also don't recall if it had an ///M badge on the back or not. Maybe you saw one of those.

·
Banned
407 Posts
At lease we dont see have of NON-M cars with an M-Badge as we DO see 60% of NON-AMG mercedes out there wth an AMG badge cuz they slapped on some replica AMG wheels.... even more funny...ever seen a 2002 C23 AMG?? you must be like :hmm: ...well guess what..my neighbor has one! :lmao:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dazzle said:
A lot of peeps put the M badge on non M BMWs. That doen NOT have to mean that they are trying to fake an M, some just do it to support the M (MOTORSPORT) division and NOT M (MUSCLE). So, please stop being such ding dongs and let them be !
I support Rolex watches, I don't have one mind you. But it's OK that I put the Rolex name on my watch. :lmao:

·
Registered
197 Posts
hahaha. i see this one white 318 too in traffic but he completely took out the 318 badge and put M3. I can clearly tell this was not an M3. So everytime I pass him by in traffic, I just look over and give him the "no no no" head turn. hahaha. :lmao:

·
Pwner
327 Posts
Mika said:
I support Rolex watches, I don't have on mind you. But it's OK that I put the Rolex name on my watch. :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Russ330 is right about an M package being available, but I can't remember if they had a badge on the trunk either. I think BMW offers the M package on non M cars in other countries still, just not in the U.S. There are also AMG packages from Mercedes.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mika said:
I support Rolex watches, I don't have one mind you. But it's OK that I put the Rolex name on my watch. :lmao:
That's a good one ... LOL :lmao:

·
Registered
343 Posts
russ330 said:
There was an ///M package for the e36 318ti. It had upgraded suspension, some M styling cues, and I can't remember what else. I also don't recall if it had an ///M badge on the back or not. Maybe you saw one of those.

This is true. My bro has a ///M 318ti. Suspension is upgraded, I think it also has a different transmission as well, not sure if it is the ///M transmission or just a different one from the normal 318.
As for badging it has the side badging, I believe on the moldings and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have one on the back. Although I wouldn't herass someone with an ///M 318ti about an ///M badge on the rear as long as they don't have just a 3 behind it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
you better watch who you laugh at, plenty of people have put the E36 M3 motor in a 318, and then they would be the one laughing at you from their rearview mirror while you are 5 cars back. Something to think about!!!!

·
The Stig
693 Posts
malakia12 said:
you better watch who you laugh at, plenty of people have put the E36 M3 motor in a 318, and then they would be the one laughing at you from their rearview mirror while you are 5 cars back. Something to think about!!!!
Malakai I was abot to say that...Here in San Diego there is a shop I hang out at called Apex Motorsports and they put a euro 3.2 M motor in a 318 Ti and the guy didnt want to debadge his car..He has got to be smoking people left and right. As for me I think Im gonna debadge my car and put a 323Ci badge so I can have a little fun... :shhh:

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
russ330 said:
I saw one of those. Driven by a chick. But it had a ///M3 sticker on the back. Not 318 badge, but the ///M3 one.

·
Eurowerkz Midwest
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear what everyone had to say about it. I thought it was funny because the car had no exterior changes such as body stylings or suspension. It looked exactly like a stock 318. Based on the guys reaction I have a feeling it was a simple badge move. Who knows. You guys are probably right about him blowing my doors off if it was an M upgrade. You never know who tries to fake stuff like this. Don't take it the wrong way everyone, it just made me laugh.

C :blink:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This debate will never end. Not to beat a dead horse, but here is my 2 cents.

BMW has a motorsport division (not sure if its specifically called that, but its the equivalent) that creates OEM performance products for their cars and they brand them with the ///M logo. There are 7 series cars that have wheels which have the ///M logo. My 330Ci came with M68's that have the little ///M logo on them. There is a clubsport 330Ci version which has the motorsport logo (///M) on the door sills, steering wheel trim, shift knob, etc. Thus, the ///M is not reserved for an M3 or M5 or M Roadster (this car further supports this analysis). What IS reserved for those cars is the numerical digit after the ///M. The stand alone ///M is referencing a sport or performance upgrade by the motorsport division and not trying to pose as a car that is faster or with a different engine.

If we were to follow the argument that putting an ///M on any car but an M3 or M5 would make most of us on this board posers. How many of us have the M3 steering wheel with the logo, the ///M on our shifter, ///M logo pedals, or OEM rims with the ///M logo????

The solo ///M with no number after it represents that we have OEM Motorsport options, upgrades, parts, etc on the car. Perhaps some cars would be more deserving than others, but it does not make a person a poser for having a ///M (with no number) on their car.

What is posing is to put a ///M3 or ///M5 badge on a 323, 325, 328, 330 or 525, 530, 540, 545. That is like putting a GT badge on a six cylinder mustang.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts