E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2001 318i a few weeks ago. 99,000km on clock.

Found a fantastic Mechanic (ex-BMW trained) and today he did the Inspection II plus the fuel filter and fitted a new DISA.

Car runs much smoother, feeler faster (No really!) and reaffirms how wonderful these cars are.

FCAB's and sway bar links next. they are just starting to go soft he tells me, so we will get on top of them sooner rather than whole arm later!

Buying most parts from US www.TheBMWpartstore.com

Mike there is very good and the DISA was $210 USD (Delivered) versus $500 AUD+ locally.

Car is dirty again from all this wind and rain we are having, wonder how long my weekly wash regime will last.

Great car, really chuffed, needed to share!

O

·
Registered
323 Posts
Most DISA problems are related to a worn flapper, crank lever or a loose pin, due to BMW design flaw. There is a much improved kit available from German Auto Solutions for less than $100. I did my retrofit a while ago. Very high quality workmanship, much better than BMW plastics. Since you've already bought a new one I won't get into too much details.

·
Banned
1,580 Posts
I know nothing about mechanicals but I am mad keen on detailing.

I bought my car about 12 months ago and it was in great condition. But when I felt the paint work with my hand it felt quite rough and in the right light showed swirl marks all over the place.

This was the result of washing the car improperly and not using a clay bar occassionally. So, take a good look at your car under direct indoor light and see how it is. You will be amazed how much better it will look after a clay, wax and maybe a machine polish.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bought my 2001 318i a few weeks ago. 99,000km on clock.

Found a fantastic Mechanic (ex-BMW trained) and today he did the Inspection II plus the fuel filter and fitted a new DISA.

Car runs much smoother, feeler faster (No really!) and reaffirms how wonderful these cars are.

FCAB's and sway bar links next. they are just starting to go soft he tells me, so we will get on top of them sooner rather than whole arm later!

Buying most parts from US www.TheBMWpartstore.com

Mike there is very good and the DISA was $210 USD (Delivered) versus $500 AUD+ locally.

Car is dirty again from all this wind and rain we are having, wonder how long my weekly wash regime will last.

Great car, really chuffed, needed to share!

O
Be careful what parts you order from them or any US site! Not only do u have the LHD difference but there are many other differences as well. I shelled out close to $300.00 for pillar covers which don't fit. Always check euro sites or here in Aus. US spec=crap euro :thumbsup: there is many parts you can get that are fine but I'll always pay more from local supplier's for peace of mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and observations. DISA was rooted. The internal diaphragm had torn completely. Went with OE this time but will get the upgraded version if people running them are happy once they have done a few kms.

Car def running better and sounds external much happier.

Car has had clay bar already. Working my way round with wax. Wasn't letting it sit long enough so the bonding process was not getting a chance to fully occur. Must wait longer it seems. But then I get bored-I blame the Internet for my attention span,wait what was I doing?

All parts from USA were service items, filters etc, so confident they would be fine. Mike seems to know his stuff and was upfront about RHD specific parts. Can't justify same part for $500 locally v $210. No peace of mind in that for me.

GROM purchased and arrived today, trunk cable on order. Read through the thread and not convinced it is going to be plug and play.. So good old plug and pray

Mechanic is very very good. If you live in Brisbane, you need this man's expertise and phone number!

Ok going to drive home the long way!

Cheers

O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.