BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a "02" 318i Executive. I am looking at purchasing and fitting an M3 front bumper that I have found on the web.

As some of you may know, this particular model doesn't have fog lights, instead it has painted plastic bulb looking components which fill the holes where the fog lights would usually go. (if unsure see the image below, hopefully it shows up).

The M3 bumper that I have found comes with a set of fog lights which is great. Now the fog light button next to the steering wheel lights up when pressed so I assume it is somewhat active, but does anyone know if I will have any trouble hooking up the fog lights with the existing system, and will it work easily enough or will i have to either invest in some cable and components myself, or is it best to take it to a mechanic/auto electrician ? I can follow instructions if provided but am not electronically minded as such.

Also any suggestions or tips on fitting the bumper itself would be appreciated, there are a few great tut's on here but any extra info would be welcomed.

I apologise for any rookie errors in posting, this is my first post.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
from the picture, it looks like you have fogs lol but they just don't work ahaha. if that is the case, what you need to do is get new connectors since the new fogs will use 9006 and your current one uses H11. then it should work fine.

if it doesn't, and you dont' have any wiring at all, search for the fog light retrofit kit that is offered by bmw, then you can add the necessary wires for the fogs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sillieidiot, thanks for the post. Sorry if its a little missleading, that pic is not of my car, I was at work when I posted and had none own my own images on me.

It would appear that everything is set up for them, as I said the button within the car lights up when pressed, however there are no bulbs in the "foglight" cavity ! Hopefully its just a case of just finding the appropriate wires, if not I shall follow your lead and look into the retrofit kit !

Thanks Again !

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Check if you have extra plugs located where the foglights are. If not you will have to wire them up and get the correct connectors. When you remove the bumper you will see that 2 wires go into it for the 2 horns from either side. Then there is one that goes straight down to the temp sensor on the left front (just in front of your left wheel). There should be 2 more wires with plugs (similar to those found on your headlights) attached to them on either side which goes to fog lights. The connectors on the foglights that come on the facelift sedan is different to the M3/Mtech2 fog lights you're hoping to get. So you will need to get the correct connector and swap them or you will need a converter.
Check out the Aussie section of this forum. [email protected] who is a forum sponsor who sells bumpers and a lot more stuff. He has regular special offers too. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check if you have extra plugs located where the foglights are. If not you will have to wire them up and get the correct connectors. When you remove the bumper you will see that 2 wires go into it for the 2 horns from either side. Then there is one that goes straight down to the temp sensor on the left front (just in front of your left wheel). There should be 2 more wires with plugs (similar to those found on your headlights) attached to them on either side which goes to fog lights. The connectors on the foglights that come on the facelift sedan is different to the M3/Mtech2 fog lights you're hoping to get. So you will need to get the correct connector and swap them or you will need a converter.
Check out the Aussie section of this forum. [email protected] who is a forum sponsor who sells bumpers and a lot more stuff. He has regular special offers too. :)
Im actually looking to purchase the bumper from Jason, I have sent him a couple of emails but just wondered if anyone else had done something similar.

Thanks for the reply fgin, at least I know what to be looking for once I remove the bumper, Im not sure whether to attempt it myself or take it to where its getting sprayed and see whether they would fit it to take the stress and hassle out of it.

Have you experience in removing the stock bumpers yourself ? Any hint or tips would be greatly appreciated mate.

Cheers Dann

1 - 7 of 7 Posts