BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am new to this site and have only had my BMW318ci about 3 weeks, Topaz blue with 18inch evo alloys, have tried testing its performance a couple of times and it doesnt seem it wants to go over 110mph, when it claims it will do 126mph, what could be causing this?

P.S it is a 2000 model with 118bhp just incase you are wondering

Thanks for any info

Adam

·
Registered
588 Posts
i used to have a 1995 318is and i brought it up to 116mph even though it took like 2 miles of road :drool: to get there it did it, i wouldnt thik the new ones would be slower maybe the computer would stop it at 126 but the problem for you is gettin there..hope that was kinda helpful
Alex

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You'd all be driving 318's if gas was expensive too. Anyway, are you sure there wasn't a REALLY strong headwind or something? IDK, try cleaning your airfilter. :dunno:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi

Your model is the 1.9, and not the 2.0 valvetronic.

The top speed for that is only quoted around 126 mph, so you are not too far off, although I do agree it should at least reash 120mph.

The 2.0 version (late 2001 onwards) has 143 bhp, is has a higher top speed. Quoted as somewhere around 135mph I think
Hope This helps
Jordan

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hmm my 318i E46 1.9 does 135 mph GPS, about 138 on the tacho.
Has had camshaft, chip, exhaust though. Stock it did exactly 129 mph GPS/ 131 on tacho.. riding on 18 inch rims with 255 in the back. Same on 19's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you think could be wrong??? Speedo cant be that far out surely??? Dont want to drive it that fast all the time but would like to see it get there! Could it be F*!ked???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the best thing to clean it out with or should I think about a K&N or something along them lines???????

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
334 Posts
i had a 97 318ic and all I could max it out was 127..128... but damn it took a while!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
well lets see.

Maybe you need a tune up, clutch worn a bit, wind resistance, suspension worn, but most likely it is because you only have around 100RWHP.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Get the ECU upgrade from dinan...you can get a whole love more top end speed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts