BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've recently (since march) become the proud owner of my first BMW, a 2001 pre-facelift E46 Touring 2l diesel. I love my car, had to work hard to afford it but it is worth every euro! I drove 1.200km to a holiday destination this summer in one day and then again on the way back and enjoyed every km of it! I have the leather sport seats and the arm rest and it is just amazing.

Anyway, a few months ago after some heavy rain three warning lights suddenly turned on, the ASC, ABS and handbrake light. The next time I started the car they went out after a few minutes of driving. It then disappeared for a few weeks, I figured some plug got a little wet and it dry-ed up.

It is winter now and it rains just about every day here in Belgium, unfortunately my car sleeps outside. And for the last week now the warning lights turned on again and they stay on all the time.

I hope/assume it is a plug that got disconnected or wet, or a sensor failed. I don't want to run to a stealer and pay through the roof to put some tape around a plug or switch out a 10euro sensor.

So what could be causing this? And could I test/fix some of the possible causes myself? I have a lot of mechanical tools but I don't have acces to an electronic diagnostic kit... (my previous car was a 1989 Mercedes 190D).

Tutorials to fixing this problem would be very helpfull (if there are any out there).

Cheers, Michiel

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
most people who got this light said it had something to do with their wheel speed sensors. Check each sensor with a voltage meter to see if they are still working.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
most people who got this light said it had something to do with their wheel speed sensors. Check each sensor with a voltage meter to see if they are still working.
no not usually. first thing i would check is your brake fluid level, if its too low it will cause all the lights to come on. if its not that, you need to have to scanned to pull the code. my moms car has all the lights on and it needs an abs module which is quite pricey.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
no not usually. first thing i would check is your brake fluid level, if its too low it will cause all the lights to come on. if its not that, you need to have to scanned to pull the code. my moms car has all the lights on and it needs an abs module which is quite pricey.
rebuild for as low as 100$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts