E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
hmm, i've thought about this mod. do you know how much roughly it costs all up? i know labour would be expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Aaron, any other parts needed to complete the install of 4.10, eg, gaskets, o-rings etc etc ?
Does any here knows the approx labour cost for the whole job ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Drop your carrier, pull diff out etc, expect 900 to 1k install. Maybe you can get it cheaper but not much.

In hindsight, the car will go through the gears nicely on an m. Especially with the higher redline.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
why do some ppl prefer the 3.91 over the 4.10?
obviously the 4.10 can create more torque to the wheels. what's the disadvantage of the 4.10 over the 3.91?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
hmm, so a quick read found that the 4.10 also revs the car higher when cruising. But the americans all seem to be cruising at 75-80 miles per hour. Seeing I'm between 80-90 km/hr in my daily commute, I think either a 3.91 or 4.10 should be ok? Even at 100 km/hr I'm cruising around 2500 rpm in 5th. So I can always use 6th gear. Sounds about right?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Any way to get such an upgrade on a lowly 330Ci? Or is the lack of a LSD the problem (assuming M3s have LSDs)
Yes you can upgrade. No problem.

But you will rev circa 4k+ @ 100km/h for a b30. For a 6 speed manual. Better suited for m cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Drop your carrier, pull diff out etc, expect 900 to 1k install. Maybe you can get it cheaper but not much.

In hindsight, the car will go through the gears nicely on an m. Especially with the higher redline.
900 to 1k installed, is that labours only ?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hmm, so a quick read found that the 4.10 also revs the car higher when cruising. But the americans all seem to be cruising at 75-80 miles per hour. Seeing I'm between 80-90 km/hr in my daily commute, I think either a 3.91 or 4.10 should be ok? Even at 100 km/hr I'm cruising around 2500 rpm in 5th. So I can always use 6th gear. Sounds about right?
I don't believe the difference between the two is as a great as its made out to be. Both are a signifigant improvement over the stock gears. The three cars in the video have 3.64 vs. 4.10 vs. 3.91 (left to right)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpsY-OL2JU

hmm, i've thought about this mod. do you know how much roughly it costs all up? i know labour would be expensive.
I am going to look around in the new year. I would suggest going with a workshop that has done this before rather than the outright cheapest.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
^ so I assume this is a mod to the factory diff? Turner also has the option where they provide you with an already modifed diff. Right?

·
Registered
439 Posts
^ so I assume this is a mod to the factory diff? Turner also has the option where they provide you with an already modifed diff. Right?
Use your factory diff. Non m's it is a great opportunity to get one, and remove that open diff setup.

Great buy Aaron, your acceleration will be nice! May as well try and squeeze some delrin bushes while your at it :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There is a really good write up on the various gears (3.91 vs 4.10s vs stock) by Divexxtreme over on M3forums from a few years back.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=95653

Basically 4.10s are the way to go. The jump from stock to 4.10s isn't as big as everyone makes it out to be (most of the reading on the web is from US guys who like really long gearing).

I'd have Peter @ Advan Performance in Sydney do the install personally although there are others around who can do it as well, it's just a R&P swap. Best bet is just to call around or wander into a few workshops for a chat IMO.

·
Registered
439 Posts
^ agreed Peter can do the job easily and for a good price too I believe. He looks after the boys at the 1 forums and owns a mean 135 himself!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
^ thanks guys. well yeah, i'm in little adelaide so will need to see if my usual workshop is confident in doing the diff build. but looks like 4.10 is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts