BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 3.46 diff is on the way, got the whole thing for a really great price, and now i am looking to save even more money by DIYing this with some buds.

is this really feasible? is it worth the risk? if i cant get it done, or there is a problem, i may be stranded at my friends house till it we can either fix it, put in old diff, or get it to a shop for completion...

have some competent people to help me (read: do it for me, i am not the best DIYer :D)

just wondering if anyone else here has attempted this, and if it came out successful? already looking at a 1-3 day job doing this (gonna take our time)

so, any suggestions? THANKS!

-Brendan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Um, K-Dog... that's what floor jacks are for. :)

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K-DOG said:
The diff weighs 50-60 lbs....if you can hol it with one hand and attach with the other lol....
there will be 3 of us or so, and u havent heard of using a jack to raise it into place? :dunno:

·
P.I.M.P.
2,471 Posts
Yeah I know there are floor jacks, but I figured he doesn't have one....and I think i was right. Yeah you need to jack it into place....

·
Like school on a Sunday...
785 Posts
I heard it's actually not too bad. You should try talking to ed (teamdfl); he's done diff swaps and really knows his sh*t.
When's this happening brendan? I want to see how it goes:D

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K-DOG said:
Yeah I know there are floor jacks, but I figured he doesn't have one....and I think i was right. Yeah you need to jack it into place....
i may not own one, but dont u think i could get access to one? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dave, diff should be here in 2 weeks. i probly wont have a license then for a little while :)D), but it will get done shortly there after

if Ed doesnt see this post, then i will for sure drop him a PM to see if he can shed a little more light on some of the specifics, thanks Dave.

·
785 Posts
You should make this into a little meet if you've got time. Something before the winter gets real sh*tty.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dboffa said:
You should make this into a little meet if you've got time. Something before the winter gets real sh*tty.
if u know how to install a diff, u should def. roll down and give me a hand :D

i am buying dinner for everyone involved :)

·
785 Posts
Did I hear free dinner???????:D
If I can make it down, count me in. I don't know my a$s from a hole in the ground about a diff swap, but I'll bring my bentley service manual along and any tools I can.:thumbup:

·
Rogue Engineering
2,433 Posts
Brendan...where did you get the diff and how much? Can you hook a brother up and let me know some details. I need either a 3.46 or 3.38

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BMWDon said:
I say, take your time, don't install it now, send it back out to Samir and get the LSD for $1200 and wait until spring to install it. Unless you got the loot now, do it asap and have the LSD during winter. Just a thought
:lmao:! if i had 1200 to blow on a diff, i would def. take this route, but i have to sell my old diff. just so i can afford this new one :D

thanks for the suggestion though... someday...

Matt- the guy i am dealing with has 1 more 3.46 in stock, but it might be spoken for already, i will let u know asap if he doesnt go thru with it.

-brendan

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
if by diy'ing you mean having charlie and john do it for you...then it should work 'cause didn't john just put a new diff in his e36 m3 by himself?

you should be good to go

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John did do his rear diff, i should def. ask him for help :D

from what i have been hearing, E36 and E46 rear diff. are rather similar, in terms of the difficulty in swapping

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
yeah i'd definately try and see if john can help out

hmm 4.5 hour drive to brendans for free dinner...hmm.....

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CtrlAltDel said:
yeah i'd definately try and see if john can help out

hmm 4.5 hour drive to brendans for free dinner...hmm.....
:lmao: at this rate, i am only gonna be able to afford a packet of ramen noodles for each of you guys :lmao:

·
needs a new sig...
4,647 Posts
you know that ill split dinner fro everyone wiht brendan because we are gonna put his current 3.15 on my car too :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Diff swap is pretty easy. Make your life easy and get the car up on 4 jack stands.

1) Drop the exhaust (15mm and 13mm)
2) Drop the heatshield (13mm bolts)
3) Remove Rear Swaybar
4) Disconnect Axles at drive flanges of diff (Allen head)
support axles by tying them up to something
underneath the car.
5) Remove Driveshaft bolts (Torx head)
6) Support diff wth jack
7) Remove diff bolts. 2 in front, one up top.
8) Lower diff. Make sure axles are held up out
of the way as you do this.

install is the opposite. I think you can do this
job without dropping the driveshaft, but not totally
sure.
Hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts