BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So installed a 3.46 diff into my 5 speed 330 yesterday , started on my lunch break ( I work at a dealership ) .... after fighting a few tough bolts the diff came out with ease . install was a breeze . id say overall it took maybe a solid 2 - 2.5 hours to do .

if we have to install another diff again it will be cake , so my advice guys/gals is to not be scared of this job !!! especially if your mechanically inclined ...and a lift makes it that much easier .

The drive home from work it was pouring rain , bad enough where cars were sitting on the side of the road , so didnt get to have fun then . On the ride into work this morning noticed 65mph is rite at 3000rpms , honestly the car should have came from the factory with the 3.46's , there is no lags when you roll into the throttle , 1st and 2nd gears are muchhhh improved , havent had too much of a chance to get into 3rd and 4th .

it seems like each gear is cut down by roughly 10mph , give or take a little .

overall - for a little over $200 the car is fun again .... do not hesitate to do the mod .

p.s this is on a bone stock 330 c.i / 5 speed , results would probally be better if you already have , intake / exhaust / pullies ect .

next on the list DIY header install :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
cool, I will be installing mine soon. what's the rpm at 80mph for you in 5th?

So installed a 3.46 diff into my 5 speed 330 yesterday , started on my lunch break ( I work at a dealership ) .... after fighting a few tough bolts the diff came out with ease . install was a breeze . id say overall it took maybe a solid 2 - 2.5 hours to do .

if we have to install another diff again it will be cake , so my advice guys/gals is to not be scared of this job !!! especially if your mechanically inclined ...and a lift makes it that much easier .

The drive home from work it was pouring rain , bad enough where cars were sitting on the side of the road , so didnt get to have fun then . On the ride into work this morning noticed 65mph is rite at 3000rpms , honestly the car should have came from the factory with the 3.46's , there is no lags when you roll into the throttle , 1st and 2nd gears are muchhhh improved , havent had too much of a chance to get into 3rd and 4th .

it seems like each gear is cut down by roughly 10mph , give or take a little .

overall - for a little over $200 the car is fun again .... do not hesitate to do the mod .

p.s this is on a bone stock 330 c.i / 5 speed , results would probally be better if you already have , intake / exhaust / pullies ect .

next on the list DIY header install :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
around 3750
that's why one needs the 6th gear... Anyways, OP, glad you liked it.. Were you able to figure out the correct torque spec on the input flange nut, the one that crushes the securing plate?

·
Registered
521 Posts
haha..no thanks..id much rather be at 3k at 80mph :read:

to each his own i guess:idea:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's why one needs the 6th gear... Anyways, OP, glad you liked it.. Were you able to figure out the correct torque spec on the input flange nut, the one that crushes the securing plate?
yea had to look up the specs on all data , then break out the big torque wrench .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also , guys ill have a better review within the next 2 weeks , trying to hit the 1/4 track this friday if theres not 4th of july activities going on .

previously car went 14.82 at 95.95mph

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
haha..no thanks..id much rather be at 3k at 80mph :read:

to each his own i guess:idea:
ok, I think you are one hard headed dude.. Tried to explain this to you in numerous instances, but you just don't seem to get it. With your 6-speed ZHP, you will only be at 3150 rpm at 80mph with a 3.46 diff...

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
yea had to look up the specs on all data , then break out the big torque wrench .
And do you remember what it was? Supposedly it should be torqued very lightly, just enough to crush the securing plate...

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
its was listed in NM , which came out to be around 130ft lbs .
:yikes: something's not right here... I am not talking about the one that secures the diff into the chassis on the drive shaft side. The one I'm talking about is the one that secures the input flange onto the diff itself, which goes right in the middle, the 21mm hex nut.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:yikes: something's not right here... I am not talking about the one that secures the diff into the chassis on the drive shaft side. The one I'm talking about is the one that secures the input flange onto the diff itself, which goes right in the middle, the 21mm hex nut.
DOH sorry im think about the flange that i had to swap lol ..... let me check and ill let ya know

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
looks like we did em at 77NM , youll have to do the conversion to lbs though , my torque wrench calculates it lol .... im lazy
Thanks, that'll do. It comes down to about 57 ft lbs, still a little on the high end, but consistent with kpeng's input :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts