BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought three 10w3v2 D6 subs that I plan to install in a sealed box (.75ft^3 each) and I need a recommendation on an amp to drive them. The 3 together can be wired to run at 1 or 4 ohms final and are 300W RMS accoding to JL.

I've been out of the car audio loop for a while and am well aware that a lot of brands I used then have become lesser in quality, so I am looking for some guidance for brands and/or specific models of amps with enough power to run them well. I am also a little off on what power rating I should be looking at, so feel free to LMK. If this were 10-15 years ago, I would've driven all three on just a bridged Punch 150, so I am a bit out of the loop with todays amps that have 1000s of watts. Am I missing something on the measuring or are 2000-4000W amps commonplace now?! :yikes:

I am aware of the JL amps and that they are good, but I don't see myself springing for a 1000/1. Maybe I'd go for a 500/1, but I get the feeling it won't be nearly enough power for all 3 subs. So, I'd really like recommendations of other "decent" amps with enough power and a price tag of say no more than $450-500.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the advent of class d amplifiers have made power very cheap to produce and sell - but it doesn't say much about the overall quality of an amplifier.

the pdx-1.1000 is a very nice amp for the price - I know it's class d - but it's pretty nice and TINY.

·
Burns Rubber(s)
1,049 Posts
I just bought, meaning an hour ago, a Memphis class D amp 16-MCD1000, 1100 watts at 1 ohm. I had a friend who had one on (2) JL Audio 12's running 1 ohm. It was clean and loud. Got it for 300 bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was hoping you'd answer rcurley. So I guess ~1000W is what I should be looking for, eh? I've been eyeballing that amp since I started thinking about this project. It's small, nice looking and I've seen a few people say that it's pretty clean sounding. I also like the fact that you don't need to run 1 ohm to get the 1000W. It's definitely on my list, just looking for some more options before I commit to anything.

I guess PPI and Soundstream border on being "iffy" now? I suppose RF and MTX aren't a whole lot better.

Do you (or anyone) know anything about the Crossfire VR-1000D? It's not as pretty, but a bit cheaper and I've come across a LOT of people saying it's a good amp and very solid.

BTW, are there any issues with the E46 charging system and big amps that I should be aware of? Does the alternator hold up OK?

I just bought, meaning an hour ago, a Memphis class D amp 16-MCD1000, 1100 watts at 1 ohm. I had a friend who had one on (2) JL Audio 12's running 1 ohm. It was clean and loud. Got it for 300 bucks on ebay.
Thanks for adding to the list timmay. I've seen quite a few people saying good things about Memphis amps as well as Elemental Design Nine.1s (which are about $315-$350 new). I'll probably stay away from looking for used on Ebay as I've already seen horror stories about scratched off S/N's and DOAs, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying new on Ebay. What are you going to run with the MCD-1000?

Thanks for the replies...

·
Burns Rubber(s)
1,049 Posts
Not used, new. Powerseller, with a return policy for DOA. I'm running (2) JL Audio 10W3V2's in a sealed box for my Cabrio.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume you're running 1 ohm? That's as much power as I am looking at with 3 of them...maybe I should be looking for a 1200W-1500W actual instead, though I can't image 1000W wouldn't be enough :hmm: If you care to share the seller's name either here or in PM, I would appreciate it. I'd like to keep an eye out...

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Break: I don't know if I want that much bass LOL. Yeah, I thought Crossfire was some flea market stuff, but everyone who has one seems to highly recommend them, and most seemed to be pretty well experienced with car audio.

@Ken, thanks for confirming/adding to the list. I've never been a fan of JBL and that's pricey for the same power. I guess they've come a long way in quality since I last looked? The budget doesn't have to be that much. I still have a lot to buy, so cheaper is good as long as I am not getting total garbage for the savings of course.

I'll probably make a decision by the end of the week, so keep the info coming...

Thanks

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Ahhhh...the Punch 150. The RF Power series is still decent but its pretty expensive. Crossfire makes some very capable products.

If you want something a little better, a Zapco Reference 1000.1 would make be a good choice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I had a couple Punch 75s and 150s, a Power 300 and a Power 650 for various systems that I bought when they originally came out (late 80s). RF were never cheap amps, but they were all worth every penny back then ;) IIRC, that Power 650 new was ~$1500 even way back then and I had to get it because I couldn't afford a Power 1000 :bow:

I do still own that Power 650, but I gave that amp to my bro for a system forever ago and have no clue if he even still has it. I'd probably still prefer something new, smaller and mono anyway.

Wow, Zapco...a brand that was decent and still is? I will check them out, thanks for the tip ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts