E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2006 330ci 6spd
Miles: 217k

So I drove my E46 from Indiana to Texas for a road trip.

Indianapolis to Dallas
Dallas to San Antonio
San Antonio to Austin
Austin to Indianapolis

It was an 8-day trip and Texas is an awesome state! Loved San Antonio and Austin. Both of these cities had an amazing vibe.

The car performed flawlessly for most of the trip.

From Dallas to San Antonio on the interstate, I suddenly saw the red battery symbol come up in the dash. Wasn't sure what it could be about as I had a new battery in there.
Right then my ultra gauge threw a high temp warning and my eyes were pulled towards the temp gauge and sure enough that needle had started to move and damn does it move fast! I pulled over ASAP, even before it could reach anywhere close to the red mark.

Investigation on the shoulder revealed that the pulley had snapped off and the pump had stopped working. (Cooling system refresh was carried out for second time during ownership just before the trip so it had new pulleys, belts, and everything else) Looking at it it seemed that the bolt holding the pulley to the pump backed off - just my guess. One bolt was there and the other one had sheared off in the pump. Oh well. Since the other bolt had sheared off as well the pump had to be replaced too.

Called Geico roadside assistance. It was raining. Badly. Called 7 different auto stores. Found the pulley and pump at an O Rileys in Waco. Towed the car there. Changed the pump and pulley & then rebled the system. All the time it was raining like crazy and I was afraid that water might creep in the fan connectors and cause some issues! Thankfully that didn't happen. The repair was successful and the car performed perfectly rest of the trip.

10/10 for Geico Roadside Assistance
10/10 for Ultra Gauge.

Eventful fun trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,179 Posts
Right then my ultra gauge threw a high temp warning and my eyes were pulled towards the temp gauge and sure enough that needle had started to move and damn does it move fast! I pulled over ASAP, even before it could reach anywhere close to the red mark.
i also have coolant temp and battery voltage on my (current) UG page.

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,179 Posts
i've been getting on/off "coolant level low" for thousands of miles. not worried. i have digital reading and 12 o'clock needle. just saying my level sensor is working and i'm just on the edge.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've been getting on/off "coolant level low" for thousands of miles. not worried. i have digital reading and 12 o'clock needle. just saying my level sensor is working and i'm just on the edge.
Have you checked your coolant level sensor? Symptoms direct that way.

·
Registered
2005 Z4, 2021 Supra
12 Posts
Glad everything turned out ok. When my radiator cracked a few years ago I dumped almost all my coolant almost instantly. Luckily I got it pulled over and towed before anything got out of han.d

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
My best guess - I didn't torque them tight enough. Been working on cars for 5 years and never made that mistake but I am not perfect so :/
This is the reason. People might not torque those bolts properly because afraid of breaking the carbon fiber pulley and they are only 10mm bolts. I added some medium strength Loctite.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the reason. People might not torque those bolts properly because afraid of breaking the carbon fiber pulley and they are only 10mm bolts. I added some medium strength Loctite.
That's my plan. I tried adding some while at O Rileys but pretty sure I could hardly get anything on because the rain washed most of it away.

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is one of the reasons I bought an UltraGauge. Having the audible warning driving out here in the extreme heat in Las Vegas is a must! Plus you can check and clear engine codes, see smog readiness status etc.

Glad to hear your car is OK.

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
305 Posts
Glad you caught that in time! Praying nothing happens to mine when I make the trek to Cali from Toronto this fall. Knock on wood though, anything that could go wrong should be taken care of (full cooling system refresh, with aluminum water and power steering pump pulleys).

I also have coolant temp through the eKombi module, I just wanted the sleeker OE+ look. I've also significantly reduced the buffer in my coolant temp gauge through PA Soft.

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
305 Posts
Carry some spare parts: 2 ignition coils; some basic tools and voltmeter; portable air pump for nail in tire.
Good point on the ignition coil, I'll buy some used ones locally just for backup.

Tools will be no problem. I'll have my entire toolbox in a trailer I'll be pulling!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you caught that in time! Praying nothing happens to mine when I make the trek to Cali from Toronto this fall. Knock on wood though, anything that could go wrong should be taken care of (full cooling system refresh, with aluminum water and power steering pump pulleys).

I also have coolant temp through the eKombi module, I just wanted the sleeker OE+ look. I've also significantly reduced the buffer in my coolant temp gauge through PA Soft.
I agree with Sapote.

I carry:

2 Spare Ignition Coils
Toolbox
Jump Starter
5 Qts of Oil (Mine is a drinker)
Spare Gloves.

All the best for your trip!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is one of the reasons I bought an UltraGauge. Having the audible warning driving out here in the extreme heat in Las Vegas is a must! Plus you can check and clear engine codes, see smog readiness status etc.

Glad to hear your car is OK.

Agreed!

I like how you have a filer over your Gauge to match the color of other parts!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts