E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my winter tires installed over the weekend. I asked for 225/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 all around on my stock Type44 rims. When I came back from lunch, the guy said he don't have enough 225 LM22, so he installed 245/40/17 LM22 for the rear instead. He said it'll be fine and only charged me $10 more for the two 245/40/17 LM22. I asked about tires rotation. He said LM22 got directional tread, so u can't really do tires rotation.

Is this staggered setup any good?? I know it's been done in summer, but this is winter tires for god's sake!!! I'm just not sure about the setup. With this staggered setup, will the tires wear out faster for the rear??? Will it be safe on snow??? I'm confused..

:rolleyes:

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
Actually, narrower the better for winter tires...
You would have been better off with the same tires all around because you could at least rotate from back to front or vice versa...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vinnymac said:
Actually, narrower the better for winter tires...
You would have been better off with the same tires all around because you could at least rotate from back to front or vice versa...
damn!!! i felt i got ripped off... :mad:

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,360 Posts
He's also full of **** when he told you that you can't rotate them. Sure, you can't put the front on the rear and vice versa, but you can certainly swapped from side to side. The downside is, you have to unmount and re-mount the tires...:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mc said:
He's also full of **** when he told you that you can't rotate them. Sure, you can't put the front on the rear and vice versa, but you can certainly swapped from side to side. The downside is, you have to unmount and re-mount the tires...:thumbdwn:
really? actually can i just swap them from side to side without unmounting?? the tread still going the same way though right?

·
1,360 Posts
Devil_Donte said:

really? actually can i just swap them from side to side without unmounting?? the tread still going the same way though right?
no no no....you <B>have</B> to unmount the tire. If you just move the wheel on the left over to the right side and leave the tire on, now it's going the wrong way. You have to unmount it from the left and remount on the right so it's rolling in the same direction.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mc said:

no no no....you <B>have</B> to unmount the tire. If you just move the wheel on the left over to the right side and leave the tire on, now it's going the wrong way. You have to unmount it from the left and remount on the right so it's rolling in the same direction.....
my bad... yeah u right..

actually, just wonder, why do ppl want staggered setup in the 1st place?? any advantage of getting them??

·
1,360 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I would guess because the narrower tires up front allow for quicker side-to-side transition and sharper turn in response. The wider rears allow for better grip in a rwd layout for the power to be layed down. I think that's why you don't see staggered tires on fwd cars.

Like I said, I don't know for sure...but that seems like it makes sense, no?:dunno:

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
mc said:
I don't know for sure, but I would guess because the narrower tires up front allow for quicker side-to-side transition and sharper turn in response. The wider rears allow for better grip in a rwd layout for the power to be layed down. I think that's why you don't see staggered tires on fwd cars.

Like I said, I don't know for sure...but that seems like it makes sense, no?:dunno:

Yeah, that holds true for normal weather driving...but the rules are slightly different with snow tires. You want narrow tires to maximize the amount of pressure per square inch of rubber to maximize traction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.