BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im stuck again with wheels and tire question. i would post in the other wheel forum but i dont think many will see it there.

i am having hopefully a new set of acs type 3 split reps in size 18x8.5 tomorow.

i need a 235 tire so that it fits better on the 8.5 width wheel than the 225's i have now.

the guy i get my wheels from says 40 profile is what he always uses on 235's.

the garage i get my tires from says its too tall and could cause problems either with rubbing or steering lock so he recomends 35 profile.

which way should i go. fatter taller 40 profile or a lower 35 profile?

also checked on the tire calculators and shows that witha 40 profile it would show im doing 60 mph but actual is 61.3 mph 35 profile shows speedo will show 60mph but actually going 59mph. our speedos are not that acurate anyway but putting the 35 profile will throw it off even more.

i am absoloutly confused and dont know which tire is best that i go with.

could someone please explain to me which tyre i should go for.

thanks

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Its 235/40/18. There is a section of this forum devoted fully to wheels and tires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for posting in general but i'd like to know from as many ppl what they are running and to be 100% that i wont be buying tires that
1) would be wrong and
2) i'll have problems with.

thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have 245/35's on 19's with no problems lock-to-lock and very minimal rubbing issues up front. I'm lowered on H&R race springs and i have a sedan. With a coupe, I think you will be fine either way. I know when shopping for tires for 19s, I found WAY more selection in the 235/35/19 range than I did with the 235/40/19 range...18s may be a different story though. Bottom line is either should work, but a taller profile will minimize the chance of a blown cord on the sidewall especially if the roads in your area aren't the most low pro tire friendly...best of luck to ya

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
sorry for posting in general but i'd like to know from as many ppl what they are running and to be 100% that i wont be buying tires that
1) would be wrong and
2) i'll have problems with.

thanks
I am telling you for a fact that it is 235/40/18. What makes you not believe me? Its not preference, its what works and I know for a fact. ;)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry, im gona really bug you lot now, but i cant get the wheels i want in 18.

so my other option is 19's. am i right in thinking that the tire size is now to be 235/35/19?
will putting 19's on a car that originaly came with 16's cause any problems with the hub or any stress on any other parts?
and would any of you know how much my car will raise up compared to my stock 16's?

thanks for the info guys.
as you can tell i ask alot of questions.

·
Banned
4,091 Posts
sorry, im gona really bug you lot now, but i cant get the wheels i want in 18.

so my other option is 19's. am i right in thinking that the tire size is now to be 235/35/19?
will putting 19's on a car that originaly came with 16's cause any problems with the hub or any stress on any other parts?
and would any of you know how much my car will raise up compared to my stock 16's?

thanks for the info guys.
as you can tell i ask alot of questions.
19's on a 318 eh? Thats gonna be one slow ride.

This calculator should help answer some questions as well...

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well since i cant get the rim in 18 and im really set on getting it, i thought might as well get the 19.

will look nice (i hope)

yes it will slow it down but oh well.

i just need something on there other than the lil 16's
got the m tech kit fitted and it looks slightly wrong with the lil wheels on it. lol

im just gona hope for the best that it wont rub and not become too slow

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i have used calc but i cant see where it says about ride hight, unless im not getting something.

should i be looking at the tire diameter? this is 15mm different from stick tire.

so its gona raise up 15mm?
sorry

·
Registered
83 Posts
ya its gonna arise up 15mm then.
I just went from stock 16s to 19s too....and hopefully this is what you're looking for:

Speedo: going approx 2% slower than reading

Braking: feels as though it takes SLIGHTLY longer to stop

Acceleration: on a scale of 10, and 10/10 being stock, i'd say 8.5/10 with the new 19s.

Cornering: still breaking in my tires, so i can't really judge yet.

Ride Quality: You can "feel" the smaller bumps more, but other than that it's not rough at all compared to my stocks.

OVERALL: not many 'noticeable' changes. The biggest of them all is TRAMLINING. Mileage went from 7.4 L / 100KM to 8.8 L / 100KM.

I have 235/35/19 fronts 255/30/19 rears.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
roads are very bad in some places. i hardly use my car during the week, more of a weekend thing for me. so hopefully be ok.

15mm doesnt seem like its alot. but many say if i go 19 then i should drop or it will look silly. for me it will be better i think. im just about clearing the drive way into my garage. especialy now putting on the m tech kit. if it does look too high i may just put lowering eibach springs on it. but id rather not. see what it looks like first.

being only a 318 1.9L i think im gona really suffer on the power loss.
having these 19's i think i will wona go slower anyway to show em.lol

gona be ac schnitzer III split rim rep

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Those are going to look awesome!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
255/35/18 in back and 235/40/18 front on ACS 18x8.5

1 - 20 of 27 Posts