BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy 18x9 rear wheels.
I was wondering if i can still use my existing 225/40/18 tires from my 18x8.5 to fit them just so i dont have to shell out add'l money for tires.

Thanks in advance for ur help.

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
doubleloseven said:
they'll fit, but the 225s will be very stretched.

With the tires being stretched is that a bad thing?
will it also cause faster wear on the tires?
thanks for your help, much appreciated!

·
Read Only
1,859 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how it'll affect the wear, I think gary would have a better answer, but it's just really not aesthetically pleasing, and it'll expose the lip of the rim, leaving it vulnerable to curb rash and other kinds of superficial damage.

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doubleloseven said:
I'm not exactly sure how it'll affect the wear, I think gary would have a better answer, but it's just really not aesthetically pleasing, and it'll expose the lip of the rim, leaving it vulnerable to curb rash and other kinds of superficial damage.

gotcha,

thanks again for ur help.

·
Conceited Prick
2,143 Posts
I wouldn't recommend going any narrower than 245 on 9" wide wheels.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I would not encourage you to do it, but I've done so myself in the past.

It won't look good by mosts peoples tastes, but no problem with handling or wear as it is within the recommended rim width range given by the tire manufacturers. Also watch for curbs as there won't be any tire spilling over to protect the wheel from scrapes.

I ran 225/40R18 BFG KDW2s on 9" wheels for about a year before I got my rear fender lips rolled and went to 255/35R18.

You can see some pics and more discussion about running narrow tires on wide wheels as well as some pics I posted of my 225/40R18 on 9" wheels here :

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162172

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks unionjack and Gary,

I realize I still have my s-03 tires i purchased from
tirerack last yr. I have 2 of the 255/35YR 18 sitting around which should be perfect for the 18x9 widths.
Just have to get used to the tramlining again.

thanks again guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts