BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from doing my tint...
Guess what, came back empty.
Sometime ago before I even got my car stopped by shop by Oakley car wash to ask for Tom since I knew he is good. The guy was nasty and gave me bull about Tom and wanted me to get his regular installer. :wtf:
Finally last week I scheduled appt with Tom and agreed on a price. Tom did back window (one piece), etc... Owner shows up, remembers me and nearly doubles the price. :argue:
I disagreed. Owner heats up. :banghead: :loco:
Tom to show respect for the owner had to rip the tint off. :bawling:

Tom was great, but told me because this guy claims that he knew of me first could not do my tint anymore.

Boycott 212 Motoring by Oakley in Sheepsheadbay. :vinmac:
For your tint, call Tom directly and ask for his Manhattan location, Tell him Gene with Suede seats that had his tint ripped off recommended you. :thumbup:


By the way Tom has Huper Optic in 30% and 60% as well as many Solar Gard and Llumar films.
Huper is expensive but totally worth the money.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,778 Posts
i'm not going to be getting tints for a while.. but i will save the number i wont forget to tell him who refered me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
212 Motoring Rocks!

I dont know what this nut is talking about but I tinted my M3 there - short spanish guy did it - right to the edge so you dont even see that it is tinted! I had my last 2 cars done there and when they were on Coney - there is not a better tint shop around - my friend got a Corvette done there and they did the back window in 1 piece - my advise is try for your self and dont take someone elses word that didnt even have work done there. He just seems bitter becuase of an argument with the owner - if you go there tell them Ralph with the mustard M3 sent you - they did my audio work as well! all the best!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BMWMFreak said:
I dont know what this nut is talking about but I tinted my M3 there - short spanish guy did it - right to the edge so you dont even see that it is tinted! I had my last 2 cars done there and when they were on Coney - there is not a better tint shop around - my friend got a Corvette done there and they did the back window in 1 piece - my advise is try for your self and dont take someone elses word that didnt even have work done there. He just seems bitter becuase of an argument with the owner - if you go there tell them Ralph with the mustard M3 sent you - they did my audio work as well! all the best!
Looks like you just registred and this is your first and only post. Who is to say that you are not one of friends owners? :evil:
I never said that shop does lousy work, I said that owner feels that he owns everything and everyone. On the other hand, I dont think that that spanish guy can use or even has Hyper Optic, Most likely he cant even use any thicker tints. Not to say that he could not do a nice job using regular tint. Why does the owner charges almost double for Tom's work? :hmm:

In addition who else can do Hyper job in the area???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
juniorstudio said:
What's the price range for Huber Optics? or Solar gard? :dunno:
If you go to the shop, Solar gard will cost you 200-300 depending on what mood is the owner in and who is doing the job.
Huper Optic will be at least double.

For exact price call Tom first, or go elsewhere.
He is truly a nice guy, too bad my tint didnt work out with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
If it makes you feel better I will post a few more and then come back and comment - I paid $200 for my tint there - I know who Tom is as he was there when I had my tint done - Tom works for the shop therefore I would imagine they could ask whatever they want for the work... the owner isnt a friend of mine I just know him from getting work done there but you saying the place sucks makes you sound like a 3 year old - If the owner abused you and you feel humiliated take it up with him - dont bad mouth the shop if they do good work - just an opinion....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BMWMFreak said:
If it makes you feel better I will post a few more and then come back and comment - I paid $200 for my tint there - I know who Tom is as he was there when I had my tint done - Tom works for the shop therefore I would imagine they could ask whatever they want for the work... the owner isnt a friend of mine I just know him from getting work done there but you saying the place sucks makes you sound like a 3 year old - If the owner abused you and you feel humiliated take it up with him - dont bad mouth the shop if they do good work - just an opinion....
Tom works for himself and as far as I understand he rents space/assists with extra work on saturdays at that shop. He works in the city during the week. The owner gauged the price on tint because he knew that I wanted specific installer. Yes, they are allowed to charge what ever they like, but why gauge prices.

What can I do to let the owner feel what he has done? Talk about it, this is what these forums are for, explain your experiences. If someone treats you bad, you make sure people hear about it and know ahead of time what their experience may be. It may not be the case that the owner gouges you, but there has to be a reason why the owner gives one price to one person and another price to the next one.
So why deal with it, call Tom and he will quote you for his work, this way the owner of the shop cant claim you as his client and make up the price from the air.

There are plenty other shops in the area that do great work as well, I in my case wanted specific installer and didnt care abou the shop.

Shops are as good as their attitude, if they are not consitent with their work or prices, how do you know if you will not be the next one to be screwed over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Funny thing - I happened to go there for an XM radio and asked him about you - he said that you came in 2 weeks prior and asked for a price and then tried to be cute and go behind his back directy to his employee - in effect you wanted the worker to do the job without him being involved - amazing how one side of the story equals to two sides - if thats what you did I think its very sneaky and sleezy - shame on you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BMWMFreak said:
Funny thing - I happened to go there for an XM radio and asked him about you - he said that you came in 2 weeks prior and asked for a price and then tried to be cute and go behind his back directy to his employee - in effect you wanted the worker to do the job without him being involved - amazing how one side of the story equals to two sides - if thats what you did I think its very sneaky and sleezy - shame on you!
If you read my post
proveg said:
Sometime ago before I even got my car stopped by shop by Oakley car wash to ask for Tom since I knew he is good. The guy was nasty and gave me bull about Tom and wanted me to get his regular installer.
Mind that I asked for Tom and no one else(before I even had a car). I knew how much I planned to pay for Tom's work, but the owner just said an extremely outrageous number. :thumbdwn:
On top of everything else my friend had scheduled (a week after I got the car) 2 K40 laser diffuser installs, for me and him. We had requested installs to be done outside of the plate holder and after each moment and request, the price kept going up. :thumbdwn:

...... Skip ahead to me getting inspection done to make sure I will not have issues after tint, I call up Tom since I knew of him before and schedule an appointment.... You know the rest.

In my opinion, the owner is rasist and has something against nationality, but then again, I have no particular proof as of now.

Lets keep this thread going, the longer it stays up, the more people will read it. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BMWMFreak said:
Funny thing - I happened to go there for an XM radio and asked him about you - he said that you came in 2 weeks prior and asked for a price and then tried to be cute and go behind his back directy to his employee - in effect you wanted the worker to do the job without him being involved - amazing how one side of the story equals to two sides - if thats what you did I think its very sneaky and sleezy - shame on you!
Oh, yeah, how does your XM work???
I wonder they got it to work throught the steering wheel like I did.
If not, show us their work, post some pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, MFreak.
No responce from you, how come you have not shown us their work?

how real are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
sounds like a terrible shop, so many places are like that, especially the ones who think they do the best work and therefore can be dicks to their customers. screw that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
petey said:
Tom comes directly referred to by Huper Optic, why would proveg want anyone else to install his tint
Thanks on backing me up on this.
I wanted only Tom to do the work as I know he is a pro with what he does.
Now, because the owner of the shop theatened him, he would not want to jepordise his job for one simple job.
I can't hold Tom responsible for not agreeing to do the job as one good customer will not necessarily help him earn all his living.

In any case, ask for Tom's Monday to Friday shop in the city if you need your tint done.

For now I am riding tintless, untill I find someone experienced enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
proveg said:
Thanks on backing me up on this.
I wanted only Tom to do the work as I know he is a pro with what he does.
Now, because the owner of the shop theatened him, he would not want to jepordise his job for one simple job.
I can't hold Tom responsible for not agreeing to do the job as one good customer will not necessarily help him earn all his living.

In any case, ask for Tom's Monday to Friday shop in the city if you need your tint done.

For now I am riding tintless, untill I find someone experienced enough.
hey tell me if you find a place...ive been trying to get tints for a while, but the place i have gone to in the past went out of business
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pete, if you get yours done and like it, let me know and I will also follow Ben's advice.

Ben, you refered me to few places before, one was high end in Westchester or Bronx, but waaaay out of my price range.

If not Tint Shop in Great Neck, you call Tom directly, you could probably schedule an appt in City and not deal with 212Motoring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I've seen the tint shop's work on the dot matrix and it looked good. This was on Carfreak's sedan. He said it was about $180 to do all four windows and rear I believe (not sure how much they charge now). They use Solargard tint film.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top