BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,821 Posts
2012 F30 3 Series Sedan World Premier - Details, specifications and pictures

The 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan
If there is such a thing as a quintessential BMW, it is without doubt the BMW 3 Series. The 3 Series is everything a sports sedan should be, and for years it has stood undisputed at the summit of the premium mid-size segment. Since it made its debut in 1975, more than 12 million customers around the world have taken ownership of a BMW 3 Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzfy4jngq_w

Highlights
  • F30 3 series sedan launches as a 2012 model year, available in US dealerships February 11th, 2012.
  • 328i powered by the 245hp N20 turbo inline four cylinder engine.
  • 335i powered by the 306hp N55 turbo inline six cylinder engine.
  • Comes in three 'equipment lines' (details)- Sport Line, Luxury Line and Modern Line. M Sports package "equipment line" coming summer 2012.
  • Up to 88lbs lighter then outgoing E90 sedan.
  • Increased in length by 3.8 inches, height by .4 inches. Width without the mirrors is .1" narrower.
  • Full color heads up display showing speed, speed limit and other information. What is shown and windsheild location customizable through iDrive.
  • 6 speed manual standard. 8 speed automatic available for all engine options. Auto matches or beats manual gearbox for performance and emissions
  • Auto stop/start and driver experience switch with four modes - sporty, ultra-sporty, comfortable and extremely economical driving
  • Driver oriented dash with controls angled 7 degree to the driver returns to the 3 series after being left off the E90.
  • Black panel display technology for the instrument panel. Very cool looking matte black display when the car is off.
  • electro-mechanical steering system standard. Optional Variable Sport Steering adjusts steering ratio based on speed.
  • iDrive and dash screen standard. Navigation offered as add on option in 'professional' and 'business' levels.
  • Hands free trunk opening with comfort access by wiggling foot under rear bumper. Very handy when your hands are full of groceries.
  • Optional M Sport brakes. Four piston aluminum front calipers. Two piston aluminum rear calipers.
  • Optional M Sport suspension with electronically controlled dampers.
  • Cameras - They're every where monitoring the road for every possible reason and then some.
  • xDrive models coming summer 2012. Likely to be released as a model year 2013.
  • M Sport coming summer 2012. Likely to be released as a model year 2013.
  • ActiveHybrid 3 coming fall 2012. Likely to be released as a model year 2013.

Complete BMW 2012 F30 3 Series World Premiere Press Release

2012 3 series sedan F30 product catalog

Over 100 high resolution images of the 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's not bad at all!

I love the front. The car has that angry look. Headlights look much better than the E90 sedan.

It looks alright from the side. The back is alright.

Interior looks pretty refined and there are not too many buttons. I don't like the way the Parking Brake points to the driver...also don't like the speakers on the door. I do like the way the front dash curves in on the passenger side. Cloth seats....really?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
33,394 Posts
Love the front end. Very menacing, and the grille/headlight treatment is very different. The dashboard is also much more dynamic than the E9X. Love the car, save for a few things:

-The nose would've been lower and meaner if it weren't for the EU pedestrian regulations.
-The rear end seems a bit contrived and a bit more evolutionary than I would've liked-it looks better coming than going!
-The "tacked-on" look of the nav screen still annoys me. In these days where the infotainment module is reconfigurable in hundreds of ways, BMW's packaging still puzzles me sometimes.

Overall, I'm very impressed, and I can't wait to see the coupe and touring variants!

·
Mod Junkie
1,093 Posts
I like it more than I thought I might. Still waiting to see the whole gallery of pictures but overall I think it is a good car.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
love it.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone confirm whether the automatic is a dual-clutch?
No, it is a standard automatic with a torque converter. The dual clutch might come with the M sport package or later on in a ZHP/IS package.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Tim. I was really hoping to see the DCT available at release. I take it the details for the M-sport option haven't been made public yet.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tim. I was really hoping to see the DCT available at release. I take it the details for the M-sport option haven't been made public yet.
This is all we know so far -

http://www.f30driver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879930

I think the 2012 model year will be a short cycle, as you can see BMW has a lot of launches coming next summer, probably as 2013 model years. If they're going to offer DCT as an option on the standard models it will come then. If it isn't offered then, BMW is probably holding it back for a face lift or life cycle impulse model or a end of life sales bump model like the 335is is on the E92 coupes.

Tim

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,732 Posts
Looks Good!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I love the interior on the F30!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I like it a lot more than I expected I would. I still have one huge problem with it, the window switches...put them back in the center console where they belong.

That cinnamon interior is absolutely bitchin'. Time to start saving.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I like it!

As far as cosmetics go...

Looks like they kept the same overall shape of the exterior (look at the side profile minus the new front/rear)

The front almost looks like one of their concept cars or something

The rear (particularly the tail lights) looks the same as the f10 5 series

Not feeling the newly styled side mirrors BMW is going for now (I'm sure it has to do with regulations, but they remind me of MBZ mirrors for some reason)

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1110_2012_bmw_3_series_first_look/index.html

:spit: 8-speed automatic!?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts