E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 BMW 335i (E90 N55 Automatic Sedan) 93,000 miles

Replacing starter. Appreciate help on two items: (1) Clarify starter bolt material and (2) Add on things to do on the way?

(1) STARTER BOLTS
Looking for definitive guidance if these are aluminum or not. Have seen one post say that N55 are not aluminum bolts and therefore CAN be re-used no problem. Anyone know for sure?
Real OEM link here:

It shows two sets of bolts:
  • Aluminum set (12410392577) that ECS says DOES NOT FIT my car - though these are the common ones people talk about with starter replacement... but again have heard that N55 doesn't use aluminum bolts
  • Two "ASA Bolts" (07129903798 and 07129903800) - doesn't list material
Anyone can clarify what material the N55 starter bolts are or what my approach should be?

(2) OTHER RECOMMENDED THINGS TO DO ALONG THE WAY?
Here's what I'm thinking I will knock out along the way. I just got the car a few months ago and it did not have any service records:
  • Intake gasket set (11617547242)
  • Intake manifold gasket (11617588624)
  • Crank case vent hose (11127584128 or 11127590163 depending if I have blow-by heater) - if anyone can guide me how to verify if I have blow-by-heater appreciate that?
  • Throttle body gasket (13547582931) and clean throttle body with CRC cleaner... I know not to manhandle the valve itself while doing this
  • Fuel injector installation kit (13537577649KT) if I decide to send out fuel injectors for cleaning... any recommendations for shops who do cleaning of direct injectors by mail? I know there is special tool to remove injectors, etc.
  • Oil cooler gasket (11428637820)
  • Oil filter housing gasket (11428637821)
  • Valve inlet cleaning... I recently did the inlets with CRC cleaning on another car and worked fantastic. I'm not up for walnut blasting and since this is N55 hoping not too bad.
  • May finally break down and get diagnostic tool, thinking Foxwell Elite NT510 especially if I'm moving the throttle body and injectors
Any other thoughts on what to do or be prepared for so I don't have to have car sitting around for weeks waiting for mail order OEM parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replying and closing my own thread.

(1) Factory starter bolts were NOT aluminum - I re-used them. As many others have mentioned in forums and videos, the rear bolt is very challenging even with a flex head ratchet and I found having a small E-torx wrench essential although excruciatingly slow.

(2) Things I did/didn't do:
  • Intake gasket set (11617547242) - YES
  • Intake manifold gasket (11617588624) - NO, this goes between manifold and DME, no need to mess with this unless you are going inside the DME
  • Crank case vent hose (11127584128 or 11127590163 depending if I have blow-by heater) - if anyone can guide me how to verify if I have blow-by-heater appreciate that? - NO, realized this was entirely separate from intake manifold procedure and easy to replace in future if I have to
  • Throttle body gasket (13547582931) and clean throttle body with CRC cleaner... I know not to manhandle the valve itself while doing this - YES... was careful not to touch valve itself and I had no error codes or need to reset settings or anything after re-installing my existing throttle body
  • Fuel injector installation kit (13537577649KT) if I decide to send out fuel injectors for cleaning... any recommendations for shops who do cleaning of direct injectors by mail? I know there is special tool to remove injectors, etc. - NO... after researching opted not to mess with fuel injectors and may consider doing BMW fuel cleaner in future
  • Oil cooler gasket (11428637820) - YES
  • Oil filter housing gasket (11428637821) - YES... as others have mentioned there is one bolt that others have been able to get to without removing/loosening intake manifold... but on my car the bolt was about 2 mm away from intake manifold, absolutely no way to get at it with any combination of flexible sockets or e-torx wrenches so was very straightforward after intake manifold was out
  • Valve inlet cleaning... I recently did the inlets with CRC cleaning on another car and worked fantastic. I'm not up for walnut blasting and since this is N55 hoping not too bad. - YES... did CRC but regretted not having walnut blast kit ready to go as I was very surprised how bad the buildup was for an N55... I plan on walnut blasting in near future... got about 75% clean with CRC cleaner and brushes
  • May finally break down and get diagnostic tool, thinking Foxwell Elite NT510 especially if I'm moving the throttle body and injectors. - YES must have in general if you plan on doing lots of BMW DIY, very happy with this purchase even though I didn't need to actually manipulate anything with TB or fuel injectors

1 - 2 of 2 Posts