BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m new to BMWs and I would like to know what maintenance should I expect to do. So far I’ve had to do the water pump and the reservoir. Car was working fine when I bought it. But then I had antifreeze leak.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nothing specific at this point if you don't have any maintenance history. I'd just replace parts when you have a problem. Installing a new battery and fluids and filters would be my next line of attack since you don't know when they were changed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you don’t have a history for it, then i’d definitely do some simple stuff. do spark plugs, fuel filter for sure, check control arm bushings, some people say fuel pump proactively, the list goes on. i wouldn’t needlessly toss parts at it, but the best approach is to solve any issues you may have that would leave you stranded somewhere before they happen. there’s tons of threads on different maintenance intervals on here as well.

a little trick i found was to sign up for my carfax maintenance tracker or whatever it’s called. it’s a free way to see what service has been done in the past whenever a shop put it in with your VIN. it’s free on carfax. great little tool.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,556 Posts
So I’m new to BMWs and I would like to know what maintenance should I expect to do. So far I’ve had to do the water pump and the reservoir. Car was working fine when I bought it. But then I had antifreeze leak.
There is a guide in my signature that I created based on working on 5 different older E46s and the collective wisdom of our fellow fanatics. It is pretty on point.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
523 Posts
Well some preventative maintenance is required due to milage for sure and the lack of history.
When you did the pump you could easily check your pulleys and belts, probably the grease inside the bearings is dried out and the belts will be really shot by now, assuming they were changed a long time ago ( if belts look new and pulleys are silent and with some resistance they are okay though)
Spark plugs are a good suggestion as is intake filter, fuel filter cabin filter, oil and oil filter change
I would also inspect the rear subframe if you happen to jack the car up for an oil change maybe

Subframe mount tearing is a really serious problem that compromises the whole car and you will have to do some research about

Also , check for codes and maybe inspect the intake boots for tears, these are a classic

Then, you go from there, fixing according
Be sure there will be a lot needing fixing

Cheers

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Rule #1: the installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten.
Rule #2: the installation of aftermarket sensors is strictly verboten.
Rule #3: get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then search for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru.
Rule #4: throwing parts at a problem wastes money, doesn’t fix the problem and it angers the BMW goddesses.
Rule #5: know how to perform a smoke test on the intake manifold.
Rule #6: the cooling system needs to be overhauled every 100k miles. See Rule #1.
Addendum to Rule #6: the plastic cooling pipes under the intake manifold need to be replaced NOW unless you have records showing that they have been replaced.
Rule #7: change the automatic transmission fluid and the filter every 50-60k miles.
Addendum to Rule #7: have the transmission fluid exchanged every other fluid and filter change as changing the fluid and filter leaves about 40-50% of the old fluid in the torque converter. Make sure that the shop does NOT use a detergent when exchanging the fluid. Be advised that BMW sourced automatic transmissions from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are different transmissions. The GM transmission fluid pan has flat sides. The ZF fluid pan is ribbed.
Rule #8: the power steering system uses Dexron3 automatic transmission fluid and NOT Pentosin CHF11 regardless of what the reservoir cap says.
Rule #8a: flush the power steering fluid every 50k miles as the power steering pump shaft isn’t LUK’s best work (LUK makes the power steering pump).
Rule #8b: change the power steering fluid reservoir every 100k miles with a reservoir made by ZF. There’s a screen filter at the bottom of the reservoir that can become clogged.
Rule #9: buy only a Siemens/VDO fuel pump and a filter made by either Mahle or Keyser. Aftermarket pumps fail very quickly.
Rule #10: get to know www.realoem.com and www.newtis.info. The former is for looking up part numbers and the latter is for office BMW instruction on how to fix just about anything in the car.
Rule #11: buy your parts at FCPEuro as it has great prices and everything, including oil, has a lifetime warranty!
Rule #12: find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org.
Rule #13: have fun driving a superbly designed bimmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts