BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are about the same price. The 528i is usually 40-50k miles CPO'd and the G37 sedan is practical new with 10-25k miles. Consensus is that the G has a better reliability in long term and also better performance.

I need a nice ride and some fun (so I don't get bored) for long daily commute 100 miles round trip. That's about 25k miles per year.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with either. My current ride is a 2005 330Cic that's just too rough for long daily commute. It has the sport package and I get a mild headache after 30 mins driving on the crappy roads here. :tsk:

Which is your pick? I love how BMW drives but cannot deal with reliability issues as I need the car for daily commute.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Infiniti's are great cars. If you can go newer with less miles for the same price that's the way to go, in my opinion. I like BMW's and Infiniti's, but the bimmer is definitely more a "drivers car" if that makes any sense

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
G37 6-spd

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am leaning toward the G37. However, I heard it is not as refined. Engine is noisy and such. The paint is soft like my Maxima. Etc. Etc.

Hard decision indeed.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I am leaning toward the G37. However, I heard it is not as refined. Engine is noisy and such. The paint is soft like my Maxima. Etc. Etc.

Hard decision indeed.
I love all the "lack of refinement" BS. Have you ever driven a car with the 3.7? I drove a G37 Coupe 6-Speed and that engine has got it going on. I guess if you don't like gobs of N/A power and torque in the lower-mid to upper RPM range feel free to hate.

Fuel economy won't be great, so get ready for that though.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said, I don't have experience with either. I can test drive them but I am also aware that a quick test drive usually is too short and superficial to get deep insights.

So the question for the owners and those who have driven them for a while. Fair enough?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
As I said, I don't have experience with either. I can test drive them but I am also aware that a quick test drive usually is too short and superficial to get deep insights.

So the question for the owners and those who have driven them for a while. Fair enough?
I'd consider visiting the G37 forum and E90Post. Compare the common problems and the costs of ownership. Then test drive. That will probably answer your questions.

I wasn't saying that directly to you, but a lot of people (and magazines even) like to say it isn't refined, "sounds like a truck", etc.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I visited a number of G37 forums. Sounds like the 2009 G37 has quite a few issues. The TSB list is long too. The 7AT tranny is jumpy at low speeds, etc.

Definitely will test drive it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
We just brought in an infiniti into our family - an ex35.

Coming from a guy who loves his bimmers, infiniti is nice! Rides great, smooth engine, good responsive handling.

Only thing I dislike is the engine is a screamer, redlines at 8k. But, dealership stands by using conventional motor oil (I forgot they still make dino oil)

I vote infiniti.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can always switch to synthetic oil. Don't think Infiniti provides free maintenance but I can be wrong.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You can always switch to synthetic oil. Don't think Infiniti provides free maintenance but I can be wrong.
I'm one of those 'oe knows best' guys. And I talked to infiniti about switching to synthetic and they advised me it would burn oil. So looks like I'm sticking to dino oil and just switching it every 2.5k at the dealer. Oil changes are cheap there anyways, 60canadian.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know some early G35 engines have the high oil consumption problem. Not sure the G37 has the same problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
kind of different cars. the g37 will be much more powerful and much worse on gas. probably 3-5 mpg worse.

infiniti generally will have more options for the money as with BMW everything is an add on and not many of the 528s are all loaded up.

i don't have extenseive experience with the g37 but did spend a week with my brothers g35s (08).....
compared to the BMW (530xi) the car is a bit smaller, handling decent but lacks some of the 'feel' of the bmw; however the 530xi isn't exactly all about the sporty handling anyway.

the motor is strong, but sounds like a blender up top compared to the buttery smooth n52 motors which are much smoother than even your current 330. It's more about sound and feel of the motor though, not about performance and really only when you're on it.

the fuel economy thing is real. my awd 530 gets 25 in our moderately highway commute and 30 on the highway. we got like 21 for the week and he gets about 26 on a highway run. infiniti not known for being efficient.

the other thing is image....not sure if that means anything to you but a g37 is pretty generic looking and the inifiniti line lacks any sort of panache imho. The BMW does carry some weight. Kind of a silly point, but will also probably mean slightly better resale on the bmw as well.

Joe

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All true. My only real concern is the long term/high mileage reliability.

How reliable is the 5er at high mileage?

·
Registered
129 Posts
like any bmw it will get expensive as you climb in miles. my recommendation is do a cpo car and upgrade every 2 years. The infiniti which will probably be better than the bmw will still not be all that cheap as you get up in milage. the electronics and stuff in these cars are equally problematic and expensive if there's a problem.

If you're looking for long term value probably an accord or camry would be your best bet. Drive a car with lots of options and you've got lots of things to break. the Nav went out on my brothers car at 40k; 20k more and it would have cost him 2500

1 - 18 of 18 Posts