BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some seat time in my new (to me) 2006 330 ZHP conv and the experience has left me disillusioned.

At freeway speeds the car feels "squirrelly". Car will pull to the left (most of the time) and other times to the right. Suspected alignment but pulling both directions should rule this out?

I understand the lcab and/or tie rods are problematic on these cars but what are the symptoms of failed/failing components?

I haven't been under the car yet to take a look but probably will this weekend.

Anyone else had similar issues? Any insight would be appreciated.

-b

·
Registered
815 Posts
if the problem is minor, i would say its road surface. my 06 zhp does the same on grooved pavement. i always thought it had something to do with tire size b/c my 00 323 doe not have this problem; even with 235's

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same issue and it was worse in town than at hwy speeds. Replaced tires and alignment and problem solved. I would start with alignment.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I-5?... is awful.

Pavement in the fast lane has a significant tilt to the left to aid water run off. Any other lane tends to have grooves from studded snow tires. Wide, low profile tires amplify these imperfections. Try driving on a newly paved stretch of road to compare.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes...I-5 is awful! Recent construction/resurfacing I'm sure doesn't help the situation.

The car has 45k on the odometer. I guessing with the ZHP's stiffer suspension that it's harder on all the components. Has anyone else had lcab issues with mileage this low?

In addition to the front and rear tires being staggered, I also noticed that I have mis-matched brands (Pirellis front and Bridgestone rears) with I'm sure are amplifying the situation.

I'll try the other suggestions mentioned above to rule these out as possible causes. Thanks for all the input and suggestions!
-b

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it until you're more familiar with the car. The first time I swapped wider summer tires for skinny all seasons, the steering wheel was hunting all over the place going in and out of grooves. My solution? Drive to the side of the lane where the pavement isn't worn.

Thankfully the roads in Virgnina don't have this problem. The ZHP tracks perfectly with 48K.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had the same issue. shelled out money for new SportConti's and problem solved. Have someone that knows what they're doing take a look.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wandering problem solved

My first attempt at remedying my sloppy handling was installing the BMW Performance strut tower brace. I'd wanted one anyways and the price had dropped considerably, so I figured why not? Probably improved handling 5%. Not the improvement I was hoping for. A byproduct was that it eliminated squeaks and rattles (convertible) so money well spent.

After much searching, I stumbled across a thread where someone indicated the lcab bushings wear at roughly twice the rate as the control arm ball joints. Not wanting to drop $600 unnecessarily (ZHP control arms) I figured I would try just the bushings first. Cheap and easy.

Decided to try Meyle based on mostly positive feedback, coupled with the fact the oems only lasted 40k. Amazing what a difference the change made on overall handling. The car drives like a completely different car...like how a BMW is supposed to drive. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
ohyabber GREAT POST

Dude thank you so much. i have a 2006 330ci vert as well, and am also excperienceing the same issues at 65k miles.

I am def going to purchse some polyrth bushings for the control arm set. Although I am unsure if i should wait another 25k miles and deal with it until I completely ware out the control arm, that way I can change out the bushings and the control arm at the sime time.

What do you think?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will replace my LCAB's in any day now. I will put OEM ones and will post the results. I am running Michelin Pilot Sports all around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts