BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I've searched, read God knows how many Bluetooth/TCU/ULF threads and can't find the answer.
I have a 2005 330Ci vert that came with factory NAV and BMW Assist. I already have the microphone installed above the steering column. I can get the BMW Assist to work (though I am not subscribed) so I know most phone parts are working. I pulled the carpet back in the trunk and found that I have a big silver module with the BMW and Bluetooth logo's on it - says it's "BMW Everest IBUS US" module - Part# 84 11 9 12 084 4. Looks like part of the sticker was removed, I'm guessing that part had a "password" on it.

I've tried the pairing procedures - hold down the voice/pair button on the steering wheel, then turn ignition to position 1 and hold button for 2-3 seconds then release, but that does nothing - I do not get the pairing message on my NAV screen.

Am I missing parts? Do I need the dealer to do something? (pray not!) Not sure what I'm missing here..

From all I've read, I should have Bluetooth and it should be enabled and I need no additional parts...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dug under the console - I found the Fakra cable and connector - nothing connected to it....

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
that module is bluetooth ready. The password is clearly visible on the sticker: PK: 7733. I am not sure if you have to add anything to it or enable it via coding, but the equipment is definitely there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I do have the module - just pulled up the console in the rear under the ashtray - the bluetooth module is there with the purple FAKRA connector plugged into it..

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok - so the passcode is the PK 7733 number, and I have confirmed I have the bluetooth module under the rear of the center console - so why the heck can't I get this thing into pairing mode???

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Ok - so the passcode is the PK 7733 number, and I have confirmed I have the bluetooth module under the rear of the center console - so why the heck can't I get this thing into pairing mode???
With a 2005 BT / Assist module the car is automatically in pairing mode the first 30 seconds the car turns on. You dont need to do anything other than turn the car on...

·
Registered
974 Posts
In my 2005 vert, the pairing would only work by using the button on the phone tray - the steering wheel one didn't pair.
I removed the phone tray & replaced with cupholders, but if I ever need to re-pair, I have to plug the phone tray back into the console & use the phone tray button.
So is it possible that your car may have had the phone tray and it has been replaced with cupholders/eurotray by a previous owner?

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
In my 2005 vert, the pairing would only work by using the button on the phone tray - the steering wheel one didn't pair.
I removed the phone tray & replaced with cupholders, but if I ever need to re-pair, I have to plug the phone tray back into the console & use the phone tray button.
So is it possible that your car may have had the phone tray and it has been replaced with cupholders/eurotray by a previous owner?

No. Your car is Euro. It is a different system than the US that uses a pairing button. What I posted above is accurate.

- There is no phone tray in the US
- If you retrofit the phone tray it doesnt work with the BT / Assist combo units, just standalone BT ULFs
- The steering wheel button never, ever pairs any phone, regardless of country, etc. The ULF's pair with a pairing button that installs over the cup holders or phone tray only

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok - Well I started the car and had my phone in bluetooth pairing/scanning mode (Iphone 3g) and it didn't find the car...now I really don't know what to do.. I don't have the pairing button in the center console.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, found the official BMW telephone manual online and it states that you must have either the cradle OR the Bluetooth connect button in your console in order to pair your phone. How does my car have everything but that button? I found the connector for it under the cup holder... I've tried multiple phones and none find my car in the first 30 seconds to 2 minutes after starting like everyone says. Don't know what to do. Can I just buy that talking face connect button that goes in the console??

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Ok, found the official BMW telephone manual online and it states that you must have either the cradle OR the Bluetooth connect button in your console in order to pair your phone. How does my car have everything but that button? I found the connector for it under the cup holder... I've tried multiple phones and none find my car in the first 30 seconds to 2 minutes after starting like everyone says. Don't know what to do. Can I just buy that talking face connect button that goes in the console??
Again, You have a TCU, which is a BT / Assist module. Your car DOES NOT USE A PAIRING BUTTON. Really, I know what I'm talking about. :)

That being said most of the BT / Asssit modules did not work before 2006.

I'd just swap out that old module for this one and be done with it. Works much, much better also. The modules before 2008 basically dont work with any newer phones anyhow...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AV53&mospid=47725&btnr=84_0528&hg=84&fg=10&hl=22

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy freaking heJJ! $345 plus just to add Bluetooth to my stock "should've already had bluetooth" system! Wow, not even sure if that is worth it.. I could probably ditch the entire stock Nav system and go to a Dynavin and be $$ ahead.... wow, this sucks....

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Holy freaking heJJ! $345 plus just to add Bluetooth to my stock "should've already had bluetooth" system! Wow, not even sure if that is worth it.. I could probably ditch the entire stock Nav system and go to a Dynavin and be $$ ahead.... wow, this sucks....
It’s a BMW, get used to the crazy prices for electronics (its $4k to retrofit nav). When I had to swap the Bluetooth module in my old 2004 that I bought brand new, the cost was $900 for the module. Its sucks, but that’s the way it goes unfortunately...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts