BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,107 Posts
Rotate the engine by hand. Start with #1 intake. Have the two cam lobes pointed straight up. Measure the clearance between the base circle and the finger follower (Like you would for a valve adjustment) and continue down the line and then onto the exhaust cam, repeating the above.

Do any/multiple have egregious amounts of clearance? If so, would suggest an over-rev and bent valves. AKA: Valvis Bendis Maximus.

While doing the above, use a flashlight and see if you notice any unloaded springs (lobes pointed up) are much lower than the rest?

Go get a HF Borescope, remove the spark plugs and have a look down the cylinders. There's 4 butterfly cut recesses in the tops of the pistons for valve clearance.
Are any of them mangled up?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Post pic of all 6 spark plugs with close up at the tips. Did you look at the vanos oil pump drive tangs? Turn the crank pulley cw (view at front) to turn the camshafts for inspection and valve clearance check.

btw, I don't think missing #1 cover seal could lead to this big scary noise, but just to be sure why don't you cut a piece of rubber as a seal to seal up that gap (bicycle inner tube or cardboard or whatever your fancy)

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,107 Posts
So in BMW vernacular a factory replacement engine is called a "Short engine", what's colloquially known as a long block. # 11 00 0 304 349 $ 14,448.85 + core today.

I'm guessing they're sourcing a used engine? And/or somebody's rebuild?
Is there any warranty on that engine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So in BMW vernacular a factory replacement engine is called a "Short engine", what's colloquially known as a long block. # 11 00 0 304 349 $ 14,448.85 + core today.

I'm guessing they're sourcing a used engine? And/or somebody's rebuild?
Is there any warranty on that engine?
So I actually just got off the phone with the guy from the shop and apparently that quote is just the labor and that I would have to find my own engine which has been difficult to say the least

·
Registered
558 Posts
Man that sux!... sorry i don't really have anything to help you at this point (is there another way to source a camshaft and/or connecting rod?)...Obviously, u will have to deal with this nightmare.

It was a really good lesson for me, although I wouldn't have had it be at your expense. Did you not think that PO could be hiding a catastrophe? That rod knock was pretty evident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To be honest....I only paid $2900 for it so I really can't complain. At this point, it's all about getting another motor and calling it a day. I knew essentially I was buying a shell with risk but at a very low cost as I have researched that even with a rod knock Id easily be able to off it and not lose any money.

·
Registered
558 Posts
To be honest....I only paid $2900 for it so I really can't complain. At this point, it's all about getting another motor and calling it a day. I knew essentially I was buying a shell with risk but at a very low cost as I have researched that even with a rod knock Id easily be able to off it and not lose any money.
Gotcha, so cheapest would be to find a bargain longblock, drop it in, and part off what's left of the broken engine... and u will make out spending <$10k net to fix the knock ... plus another $2-3k for various other repairs beside the engine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Gotcha, so cheapest would be to find a bargain longblock, drop it in, and part off what's left of the broken engine... and u will make out spending <$10k net to fix the knock ... plus another $2-3k for various other repairs beside the engine?
Yes indeed that is the plan. I figured I could do 5-6k motor and install and be happy. Know any places to look other than the obvious (eBay, Craigslist, etc)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes indeed that is the plan. I figured I could do 5-6k motor and install and be happy. Know any places to look other than the obvious (eBay, Craigslist, etc)
Well here too obviously in the classified> for sale> engines

For example:
if you don't mind tuning up the VANOS, rod bearings, valve cover gasket before u put it in. Available like now. Guy says it runs.

That took 10 seconds, i'm sure there are others.

Caveat emptor as always...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts