E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

I much appreciate in advance the help you might be able to give me.

I have been searching for hours now and could not find anybody reporting the same issue as myself so here it goes.

When driving, particularly on highway, a metallic rubbing noise will occur at random and turn into a metallic rattle that is quite loud and can be felt through the floorboard. It also occurs often after hitting a bump for the next 10 seconds or so and then stops. The sound comes from the front and seems as though something spinning is hitting something and is intermittent.

I have checked all bearrings, all calipers and brake pads nothing is stuck or sticking or otherwise behaving badly. I have also changed tie rod ends and both CV axle in front.

It really seems like something that spins is clunking or rattling. Again this is intermittent and its possible not to hear it for 15 minutes before it starts again.

My mechanic could not find anything and was unable to reproduce the sound...although I suspect he did not drive it very long.

I really appreciate your help.

Your canadian friend

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The brake backing plate is most likely loose or bent. Bend it back. You can use a little rtv near the bolts that hold it to the knuckle to keep it from vibrating against the knuckle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.