BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Bought a 30 buck can of MAF sensor cleaner in the hope of clearing the fault. Actually put on my reading glasses to have a look, and there's one of the wire elements broken. Don't think I'll spray my way out of that one, but in a (non financial) way it's a good thing as I wanted a new one in as it's really a PM requirement at my miles.

Tested the fan via activating the AC and got nothing, then realized I had the heat cranked right up to max for coolant bleeding, so I turned it down to cool and the fan kicked in. All good.

Coolant was slightly low this morning in the ET and I had a warning light. I had drained it right down to minimum while warm yesterday, so probably fair enough. Topped it up to the end of the indicator being just a little higher than the ET neck and all good. It's coming back up time to time, so I guess I'll let it cool and pull the bleed screw again. I'll get the torch out and have a good look for leaks when I've finished warming it up today.

EDIT: I didn't have a coolant warning light, I had a check engine light that was related to the MAF and purge valve. I just got confused as it's very hot and I was stressing a little. Coolant was always all good, but it did help to let it cool overnight and then jack up the bleed screw side and bleed it again the next day.

Did a fuel pump pressure test and it passed with flying colors. 51.5PSI at idle, and 48.5PSI after 20min. All good.

It started and idled even sweeter today, but now I know my MAF is as good as unplugged and it might be different with a new one in until it sets up some adaptations. I'm wondering if that could be related to the fuel tank vacuum solenoid fault...somehow?

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Changed a torn boot on the steering rack.

Might have got off easy, as there was no leaking or bad contamination. I cleaned the shaft and gear section, them applied some grease before putting the boot on. Used one of these boot kits with the split grommet from FCPeuro. Easiest boot I've ever changed and no wheel alignment required. Something had to be easy on this car lol.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
There she is folks, all done but for a MAF sensor (currently disconnected) and precat O2 probes, both enroute.

Sorted the fuel tank purge valve and disconnected the MAF, and I actually have no ECU faults. I've got it down to 2 fault codes, one for that fresh air recycling sensor on the fan housing, one for the steering angle sensor that I'm hoping will clear with a wheel alignment. CEL off and staying off at this stage.

Everything seems in order. Charging at 13.8v at the battery, heater is blowing hot air, AC blowing cool air. Oil level good, no coolant pissing out of it at this stage, no bad noises.

I'm going to have a cool shower as it's murderously hot here and I'm dirty/sweaty, then take her for a spin.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Maiden drive went very well, result!

Obviously I didn't go nuts on the first drive, but I did a 10km round trip and it went quite nicely. Power was good and smooth, automatic gearbox seemed to work much better than when I drove it back from Sydney. It might have liked the new trans thermostat or lack of fault codes. Very nice up on the open road, and drops gear nicely when you poke it a little.

It's still got the annoying whine when I turn on the AC, and I'm really hoping my AC/autolec mate might be able to put new oil in it and regas it or something. Unless there's a bearing or something I can get to on the pulley end?

I've still got the MAF and O2 probes to go, but at least it's driveable in between. No sign of overheating or even variation in temp. It got to half temp and stayed there. Bloody hot here right now too. If it was going to overheat you'd think today would do it.

I've parked it up for the evening so I can give it a check over tomorrow when it's cool. It could use a wash as well. Thank you VERY much all of you who have patiently taken the time to help me with this. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Took it for a decent 40k round trip today into town via back roads and home via the motorway.

Still nursing it and staring at the temp gauge, but drove it a little bolder. I'm running in the new Vanos seals for a least 1-200kms as per the instructions, and just generally being mindful of noises/vibrations/temps due to all the work that's been done to it.

Given how stupid hot it is here right now (36-40 degC) the cooling system is a champ. Doesn't move at all.

It's running better every time I drive it now, or I'm just getting braver with the pedal. I'd say I'm safe with the auto box. Works too well to be broken, so I'll get onto servicing that next. Will look forward to putting in the new MAF and O2 sensors when they arrive.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Had a hold up as I was sent the wrong kit for my Disa valve. They sent the 330 model, when mine is the 325. No worries, they're onto it and I've got the car running with the disa flap removed completely as a temporary measure.

In the meantime, I've replaced my broken MAF sensor and the 2x precat O2 sensors. The MAF actually had an element wire physically broken, and the O2 sensors looked original at 240,000kms. Had a hell of a time getting the rear sensor loose.

I reset the faults and also adaptations, and she starts and idles very nicely. I took her for a 60km run through winding roads and then on the highway, and it ran real well. I look forward to seeing what difference an operational disa valve will make, and hopefully I'm almost finished in the engine bay.

This car actually goes pretty hard, I'm surprised. It's smooth but accelerates well, and seems to keep on accelerating well past what you'd expect. It seems to just start taking off at 120km/hr like a jet, strange sensation. Auto gearbox is working very well, but I can't deny I wish this was a manual.

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
374 Posts
Well all the hard work payed of mate...but am i sensing a faint hint toward a manual swap? 😬

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well all the hard work payed of mate...but am i sensing a faint hint toward a manual swap? 😬
I can't deny you might be correct! I've even found a wrecker in QLD who is selling full conversion sets from wrecked manuals, but to be honest I'd rather buy a manual and do this all again.

This thing has been a money pit. I've spent twice what I paid for it already, but mind you it's running like a rocket and is cool as a cucumber. And I haven't even started with the steering/suspension yet. Still all the same it's satisfying.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can't deny you might be correct! I've even found a wrecker in QLD who is selling full conversion sets from wrecked manuals, but to be honest I'd rather buy a manual and do this all again.

This thing has been a money pit. I've spent twice what I paid for it already, but mind you it's running like a rocket and is cool as a cucumber. And I haven't even started with the steering/suspension yet. Still all the same it's satisfying.
Well its all the same, even better if you get another e46... More build threads for me to follow🤣... Btw whats up with your steering?

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Well its all the same, even better if you get another e46... More build threads for me to follow🤣... Btw whats up with your steering?
I feel I might get away with the trailing arm bushes and new tie rod ends, along with some struts, but another part of me says just get the full kit from FCP and do the lot.

Steering's still throwing the trifecta code. I can reset it with my reader, but it pops straight up again when I move the wheel. I'm going to try a wheel alignment, then try to reset it with INPA if I can get that to work.

If old mate does that firmware flashing thing for me, I might ask him if he can investigate while he's in there.

Other than that it's actually steering like a champ.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Big drive today, and I'm falling in love.

About 150-200kms of beautiful mountain forest winding roads, nice straights in between winding sections and a good freeway run before and after the hilly bits.

This thing is seriously clearing its throat now, and I'm really wondering how much better it will be with a GAS overhauled DISA valve in it. What difference will I expect? I (responsibly) got to hear that 6cyl sing today, and she's got a nice voice I must say.

Despite the wheel alignment guy saying he couldn't get it right and my totally buggered shocks, it was certainly much better than it was before and I got a taste of some good cornering today. Makes me wonder how good I can get it with some new shock/bushes/etc.

It's a bloody money pit for sure, but it does give something back at least.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't think the disa will make much of a difference , maybe a bit better fuel usage?? Idk...
And m8 you're so RIGHT, even mine, with a timy tiny 2.2 motor, has no shocks (i can push em in with my pinki and pull em out with ky pinki in one go) , Bushings on suspension is shot, i have literally 0 power steering, and it LOVES the windy roads, eats em up like candy, i cant even think how good it will be after a suspension refresh...
You definitely made the right decision on the e46!! Might be a money pit, but its money well spent!! How does the automatic preform? Any lag or issues??? Did you do a fluid change on it?

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I don't think the disa will make much of a difference , maybe a bit better fuel usage?? Idk...
And m8 you're so RIGHT, even mine, with a timy tiny 2.2 motor, has no shocks (i can push em in with my pinki and pull em out with ky pinki in one go) , Bushings on suspension is shot, i have literally 0 power steering, and it LOVES the windy roads, eats em up like candy, i cant even think how good it will be after a suspension refresh...
You definitely made the right decision on the e46!! Might be a money pit, but its money well spent!! How does the automatic preform? Any lag or issues??? Did you do a fluid change on it?
The auto is generally pretty good, but it does seem to dog down on starting from stationary. The motor seems pretty peaky from idle, so it seems to take off a bit from a standing start. I will do a fluid change very soon as I have a filter there. The fluid is the spend actually, as I've got to flush it through a bit then fill it. A 20L drum of the fluid I plan to use is 2-300 bucks. I'm thinking of flushing it through with a cheaper fluid, then changing the filter and flushing it through again with the stuff I will plan to use. After that I might just go a dump and pump every 50k, but for the first time in 240k I want to get serious.

The money is getting stupid. I bought the car for 3k (AUD) and have spent 6k on it somehow, but the car was sold for 72k new which kind of puts it all into perspective. Unfortunately the resale is shit, but that's not my focus.

The amazing thing is the missus is as hooked as I am on this car! I've done everything that should've caused some shit...spent money, drove like an arsehole. It's like the E46 can do no wrong...I've got to learn its secret.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The auto is generally pretty good, but it does seem to dog down on starting from stationary. The motor seems pretty peaky from idle, so it seems to take off a bit from a standing start. I will do a fluid change very soon as I have a filter there. The fluid is the spend actually, as I've got to flush it through a bit then fill it. A 20L drum of the fluid I plan to use is 2-300 bucks. I'm thinking of flushing it through with a cheaper fluid, then changing the filter and flushing it through again with the stuff I will plan to use. After that I might just go a dump and pump every 50k, but for the first time in 240k I want to get serious.

The money is getting stupid. I bought the car for 3k (AUD) and have spent 6k on it somehow, but the car was sold for 72k new which kind of puts it all into perspective. Unfortunately the resale is shit, but that's not my focus.

The amazing thing is the missus is as hooked as I am on this car! I've done everything that should've caused some shit...spent money, drove like an arsehole. It's like the E46 can do no wrong...I've got to learn its secret.
Damn thats A LOT of money! Bought mine for around the same amount (39 000 rand) and so far i have only spent about R1600 on it,, i dont want to know how much i will spend if i have to do what you did, plus i will probably first finish college before i can, but honestly, for me, its money well spent and i wont mind doing the same, im gonna do a complete refresh of mine, including paint, wheels suspention, interior (the works), but that still far down the pipe lines

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
It's pouring rain here at the moment, and the wife and I went for a big drive on Sunday to get out of the house. The car went beautifully, and we did about 250kms.

For our European and American friends having problems with snow etc, I feel for you. I have to put up with crap like this pictured below. It's hard...

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Serviced the automatic transmission today with new filter and fluid.

It has been done before, but I certainly didn't like the workmanship. I probably went overboard a bit, but at least I know when and how it was done now.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts