BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
IT'S ALIVE!

Started second crank and runs like a deep throated sewing machine...absolutely purring. Sounds beautiful.

I did do a bit of prep by priming/bleeding the fuel rail via the schrader valve, and I cranked it over a fair bit with the fuel relay pulled, so as to work some oil up through it.

Sounds very sweet, but I'm not having much luck priming the cooling system. Resting it for a moment and might put the airbox and fan in to continue.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
So now I'm tinkering.

My power steering sprung into life and sprayed ATF out of the hose I had open. Unfortunately it sprayed all over my wife's legs, feet and favorite shoes. Until that moment she was watching me proudly demonstrate my E46 most approvingly. Approval is now a dubious prospect, but what do you do. I kept that hose open while pouring more in and working the steering lock to lock. Had to stop a couple of times as I couldn't keep up, but that'll do for now.

With the cooling system, even though I'd pulled the block drain etc I expected there'd be a bit of water left so I poured 3x 1.5L of BMW coolant in first, then topped off with just under 3x 1.5L water. This made me suspect I'd got it right as it's supposed to hold about 9L. I had the front up and went through the bleeding procedure, then did the piece of clear hose over the bleed point/into the ET trick and revved it up a bit, all good. The heat in the cab was working, just on the feet setting. Took a bit longer to notice.

I let it warm up with the bleed screw in and cap on, and nothing freaky happened, but the electric fan did not kick in, at least I didn't notice it. It went straight up to mid temp and stayed there. I've shut it down for the night and will double check the ET float level in the morning.

I've got a steering boot to change while it's up in the front, and a bumper to put on and I might take it for a drive and see what happens.

I've got heaps less fault codes, down to about 4 or 5 from a dozen or so. The MAF fault is still there, but I'll wait until my precat O2 sensor turn up and spray it out with MAF cleaner, just to see if I can dodge that bullet for a little longer ($$$). It's a pain in the arse as it shuts down cruise control.

I've still got a fuel tank solenoid vac fault that didn't clear with a new fuel cap, so not sure what to do there. I'll also do a proper fuel pressure test to check the pump/check valve etc. Knowing my luck I'll get stung for a pump and a MAF.

I've got a feeling that those O2 sensors and a blast down the highway might clear up some issues, and I did reset all adaptations before I started it, just do to the fact that the vac leaks were so bad.

Idle is real good, ever so slightly lumpy but in a nice sexy way. Again a blast down the highway will tell. Throttle response is insanely good, absolutely linear with no lag and revs straight out.

Bit of a gush and wall of text, but a very satisfying day indeed.

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
374 Posts
So now I'm tinkering.

My power steering sprung into life and sprayed ATF out of the hose I had open. Unfortunately it sprayed all over my wife's legs, feet and favorite shoes. Until that moment she was watching me proudly demonstrate my E46 most approvingly. Approval is now a dubious prospect, but what do you do. I kept that hose open while pouring more in and working the steering lock to lock. Had to stop a couple of times as I couldn't keep up, but that'll do for now.

With the cooling system, even though I'd pulled the block drain etc I expected there'd be a bit of water left so I poured 3x 1.5L of BMW coolant in first, then topped off with just under 3x 1.5L water. This made me suspect I'd got it right as it's supposed to hold about 9L. I had the front up and went through the bleeding procedure, then did the piece of clear hose over the bleed point/into the ET trick and revved it up a bit, all good. The heat in the cab was working, just on the feet setting. Took a bit longer to notice.

I let it warm up with the bleed screw in and cap on, and nothing freaky happened, but the electric fan did not kick in, at least I didn't notice it. It went straight up to mid temp and stayed there. I've shut it down for the night and will double check the ET float level in the morning.

I've got a steering boot to change while it's up in the front, and a bumper to put on and I might take it for a drive and see what happens.

I've got heaps less fault codes, down to about 4 or 5 from a dozen or so. The MAF fault is still there, but I'll wait until my precat O2 sensor turn up and spray it out with MAF cleaner, just to see if I can dodge that bullet for a little longer ($$$). It's a pain in the arse as it shuts down cruise control.

I've still got a fuel tank solenoid vac fault that didn't clear with a new fuel cap, so not sure what to do there. I'll also do a proper fuel pressure test to check the pump/check valve etc. Knowing my luck I'll get stung for a pump and a MAF.

I've got a feeling that those O2 sensors and a blast down the highway might clear up some issues, and I did reset all adaptations before I started it, just do to the fact that the vac leaks were so bad.

Idle is real good, ever so slightly lumpy but in a nice sexy way. Again a blast down the highway will tell. Throttle response is insanely good, absolutely linear with no lag and revs straight out.

Bit of a gush and wall of text, but a very satisfying day indeed.
Congratulations!!!! You're almost done, and shes gona run like a beast!!! Maybe post a video?? Idle and a bit of revs??

Im sure a bit (generous) of maf cleaner will sort out the maf for a while, hope you have a new air filter on there aswell.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Congratulations!!!! You're almost done, and shes gona run like a beast!!! Maybe post a video?? Idle and a bit of revs??

Im sure a bit (generous) of maf cleaner will sort out the maf for a while, hope you have a new air filter on there aswell.
Thank you,

Don't worry mate I was thinking of you and got some video. I don't have a YT account at the moment because fk big tech, but I'll work something out.

I do have a brand new filter in there yes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you,

Don't worry mate I was thinking of you and got some video. I don't have a YT account at the moment because fk big tech, but I'll work something out.

I do have a brand new filter in there yes.
Thats great m8, was the by chance an aftermarket filter in there?... im very excited to see it run....

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thats great m8, was the by chance an aftermarket filter in there?... im very excited to see it run....
Air filter looked standard. I put a Mann filter in there. I won't have those pod filters, standard setup for me will do. Inside the airbox was very clean on the filtered side, I just gave it a hit with the airgun and put it all back in.

Actually, this one has got me a bit excited and moist too. Remember when I got it it was running like a dog, and I've never driven a BMW other than this one. I'm blown away by how it sounds and revs. It sounds like it means serious business, but no stupid farting and popping or excessive loudness. Just right.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Air filter looked standard. I put a Mann filter in there. I won't have those pod filters, standard setup for me will do. Inside the airbox was very clean on the filtered side, I just gave it a hit with the airgun and put it all back in.

Actually, this one has got me a bit excited and moist too. Remember when I got it it was running like a dog, and I've never driven a BMW other than this one. I'm blown away by how it sounds and revs. It sounds like it means serious business, but no stupid farting and popping or excessive loudness. Just right.
Sounds like an almost healthy e46 to me! But no video = it never happened......
Im excited my self. I love seeing these be saved from the grave.

Why i asked about tye filter,,, some of these aftermarkis filters have that oil spray in them that can make its way to coating tge maf...but maybe maf is just a bit dirty from normal dust and a good maf cleaning will hopefully do the trick.

You're in for a suprise when you drive it, as i was the first time i drove mine (about 6 minths ago).
All my bushings are shot, my shocks are shot, sturts - shot....control arm bushing - shot...tires - 20% thread.... Power steering - disabled due to broken pump and worn out rack seals... but damn this thing drives like a monster, it sits in the corners and does not complain...it drives better then my uncles newish volvo...so i bet you're gonna LOVE it!

PS: please dont think i dont care about my car cause of all the things that are shot on it...im slowly replacing parts as i get the opportunity to do so, i love my coco...

Btw does yours have a name?

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sounds like an almost healthy e46 to me! But no video = it never happened......
Im excited my self. I love seeing these be saved from the grave.

Why i asked about tye filter,,, some of these aftermarkis filters have that oil spray in them that can make its way to coating tge maf...but maybe maf is just a bit dirty from normal dust and a good maf cleaning will hopefully do the trick.

You're in for a suprise when you drive it, as i was the first time i drove mine (about 6 minths ago).
All my bushings are shot, my shocks are shot, sturts - shot....control arm bushing - shot...tires - 20% thread.... Power steering - disabled due to broken pump and worn out rack seals... but damn this thing drives like a monster, it sits in the corners and does not complain...it drives better then my uncles newish volvo...so i bet you're gonna LOVE it!

PS: please dont think i dont care about my car cause of all the things that are shot on it...im slowly replacing parts as i get the opportunity to do so, i love my coco...

Btw does yours have a name?
I just watched the video and it sounds like a tractor?? In person it sounds like a chunky sewing machine. I already like how it drove just from the drive home, felt like a nimble tank. I'll sort the video out.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Don't know what's happening with the video. Maybe give it some time.

In the meantime, what's the deal with the diff in these things? Slippery/not slippery? My understanding is that standard non M3 E46 diffs are all non LSD?

Also, how can I run some sort of test function for this puller fan I've installed? I've removed the front aux fan and plugged the plug straight into the new one. Not sure it's working.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
208 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think only the M3 got a limited-slip diff.

I function tested the puller fan by turning on the A/C with the engine running. That should kick on the fan.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mate it sounds GREAT!!!!!!!! Almost like a factory brand spanking new one!!! Congratulations!!!! It actually sounds great....great job

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Mate it sounds GREAT!!!!!!!! Almost like a factory brand spanking new one!!! Congratulations!!!! It actually sounds great....great job
Cool.

So that's about right? It sounds like shit in the video, but in person I was pretty much blown away at how it ran. I had a few straight 6 Holdens (Australian GM/Chev sort of deal) and I always preferred them over V6's. Of course it'll be quieter again with some covers on.

I was very slow about this one, but next one I'll smash in a week as I know what to get and what to do. It seems to be all about gaskets/o rings/leaks, just got to make sure they go in straight and seat properly etc. I was wondering if I'd gone overboard on replacing every sensor, but for the cost I'm comfortable with that decision now and would most likely do it again that way.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I could be wrong, but I think only the M3 got a limited-slip diff.

I function tested the puller fan by turning on the A/C with the engine running. That should kick on the fan.
Pretty sure I'll have the non slip, this is only an executive model. I'll do it when I flush the AT. Apart from one steering rack boot to do, I'm a bit over being under this thing and want some time in the drivers seat before I do any more swinging of spanners.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts