BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-

I realize I probably originally posted this question in the wrong forum.

Both front woofers (165mm) units are distorted. The driver side is just plain nasty distortion of anything bassy. The passenger side sounds like someone is continuously hitting a wood block with a mallet.

This is the HK system so I believe that those speakers are 3-ohm units. Anyone have any insight on:

1. Is it the HK amp going bad or just an oddity that both woofers are now shot (due to age?)

2. Any ideas on if/how I could test to see which part is the problem short of putting an oscilloscope on the line coming in (if that is even reasonable)? Like wiring in a test speaker?

Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The woofers are most likely bad. Cars that have seen a lot of sun/heat will cause that also how the person before listened to the radio. My car had 112 k on it and all the woofers sounded like garbage so I swapped them out of a low mileage parts and they sound great now. I want to think they are 6 ohm. They are definitely 4 or higher. Hope that helped u out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Like bass all the way up and volume at maximum will kill speakers quick. Always run them under distortion level and they will last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts