E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,304 Posts
YetiX said:
For now, no one offers a chip for E46's manufactured March, 2003 or later. Not Conforti, not Dinan, not anyone. Maybe they never will given that the next 3 comes out so soon.
The reason no one has released any software is because BMW started encrypting the software in the cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good news? I spoke with Eric at Dinan today and their "chip" for the 2004 will be to dealers within two weeks. He got word this morning and called me. Dinan is sending the info and the program (or whatever it is they use) to dealers next week.

I was surprised to learn that BMW doesn't give them the encryption either and they had to break the code just like anyone else who wants to chip a 2004 3 series. I figured that with their close relationship BMW might hook them up but, according to Eric, no dice. Hmmn.

I might just have to get me one of these unless Jim can get his to market soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not knocking the Shark (I chose it over Dinan for my last car) but the Dinan chip isn't that much more expensive.

Actually, I take that back, it's $50 more but you can't install it yourself, it has to be done at a dealer. Wonder how much that would cost? $50-100?

Let's hope the Shark comes out soon.

·
Banned
615 Posts
any news on this??? I have a 2005 325i... I wish a chip came out for my car!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
YetiX said:
Good news? I spoke with Eric at Dinan today and their "chip" for the 2004 will be to dealers within two weeks. He got word this morning and called me. Dinan is sending the info and the program (or whatever it is they use) to dealers next week.

I was surprised to learn that BMW doesn't give them the encryption either and they had to break the code just like anyone else who wants to chip a 2004 3 series. I figured that with their close relationship BMW might hook them up but, according to Eric, no dice. Hmmn.

I might just have to get me one of these unless Jim can get his to market soon.
This is absolutely mind blowing. How can BMW have a partnership with Dinan and not let them develop software for the car. And even more rediculous is selling and installing the software at the dealership AFTER dinan has cracked the code. The concept is so absurd it's laughable. Would there be some sort of lawsuit issues if they gave one company the encryption and no others?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I doubt it. As far as I'm aware (I'm a lawyer and do some auto related stuff) manufacturers are under no obligation to share any info with the aftermarket. We are at least protected in our right to modify our cars and not have the warranty voided. My understanding from talking to people at SEMA is that some manufacturers are trying to make it harder to modify cars' electronics through encryption but leaving other stuff (suspension, exhaust, etc.) easy to modify.

If cars are easy to modify and there's a good amount of after-market stuff available, it makes cars more attractive. Ford has done a very good job of this with the new Mustang. They pre-released it to a number of aftermarket companies to develop a "buzz" about modifying them. By my guess, there were more new Mustangs than any other car by far at SEMA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts