E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking to hear if anyone has any info. The M56 SULEV engine has a hydrocarbon filter built into the air box as a part of the emissions system. This to me says "restriction" removing it would be simple enough however would mean you can not replace it in the future if needed. The one in my vehicle is clogged and needs replaced or removed, however you can't simply walk into auto zone and buy one in fact I can't find one anywhere and fear you would need to replace the air box entirely. Not going to happen. I'm also looking at just building a short ram intake and throwing a conical filter on it, but fear it may throw a code due to the retarded emissions systems. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can't find or haven't looked?

Pelican Parts
ECS tuning
BMW of south Atlanta
Real oem

M56 has so much emissions gear holding it back, that filter should be the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can remove b.s. filter

I also have the M56 SULEV 325ci and I ripped that thing out the second I saw it there just because in my mind its just adding more airflow restriction. Mine was clean and if yours is dirty enough to be clogged you may want to check your air filter more often or a previous owner let it go way beyond where it should have which would make me freak out wondering what else they did not maintain. Just to clarify the black **** on that is supposed to be there like on some cabin air filters its a carbon coating or something. Anyways its been 30000 miles since ive pulled mine with no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts