BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 BMW 325i. Just bought it off of the world's most shady lot. I have had to tear into this thing like a mad scientist, putting it thing back together somewhat OEM. I noticed the other night though that the center bulbs in both the passenger and driver's side headlights (brights I believe) are not working. I've tested damn near everything, fuses, wiring, connectors, bulbs, all are ok. Then I pulled back on the column switch as if to flash an oncoming motorist, and they came on, but only when that column switch is pulled back towards the driver thus engaging the brights. Any advice is welcome. I really don't want to take it into the dealership.

The last thing a technician ever wants to do is have someone else work on his car...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not so good on USA terms relating to car parts.....So I will have to say here in English car terms.....hope it helps you.

The columb switch you are pulling is for the main headlight beams......its just a quick on an off.....also called the flasher.......this is working fine and doing as it should....therefore as it is working it follows that your bulbs and wiring are fine through this circuit.

However!.....your main beam (correct me if I am wrong) does not come on until you engage the flasher arm.......therefore you need to look at the main light switch as the point of fault.

Take this apart and spray some contact cleaner on it......Check each step on the switch to see if you are getting a current with a multi meter ....if you have a live switch on all?.....then it can only be a brake in the wire between the switch and the light.

If you suspect a brake after the above......use a jump cable from the switch to the light .....if the jump cable/wire method works ?....use this as the new link and cut away the old.....trust me you don't want to be pulling out the loom ......re-route a new cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice. I tested the main lighting switch and all is well within the circuits it controls. I have power at each switch position but still no lights. Looking into testing and or replacing the LCM. Since I have tested the entire lighting circuit and have found no shorts in the circuit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts