BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that I can get a 2001 BMW M3 for about the same price as a fully-loaded 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe.

My question is which one would you pick? Are the 2001 M3 cars reliable?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Kain said:
I noticed that I can get a 2001 BMW M3 for about the same price as a fully-loaded 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe.

My question is which one would you pick? Are the 2001 M3 cars reliable?
Sounds good to me... just dont buy any M3 made before Nov 2001.. bad motors.....

John V

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
I'd take the M3 if you're not worried about out-of-warranty maintenance and repair expenses.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Then again, for the price of a loaded 325Ci, you could get a lightly equipped (xenons and SP) 330, brand new, and get the benefits of the 4 year warranty as well as a larger engine. Not in the same league as an M3, but a nice compromise.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I just found out that the car I posted above was made on 03/01, so I guess it has the engine problem or was it corrected?

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
akhbhaat said:
I'd take the M3 if you're not worried about out-of-warranty maintenance and repair expenses.
Hmmm...don't M3's get 6 year/100k factory warranty anyway? Not such a big concern then, if you think about it. I don't know if the maintenance warranty lasts for the same period of time (though I doubt it), regular maintenance isn't bad, esp. if you DIY or use a mechanic.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Re: 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe vs. 2001 BMW M3

johnv325ci said:

Sounds good to me... just dont buy any M3 made before Nov 2001.. bad motors.....

John V
Wrong dumbass.....get your facts straight before you post bogus info. I have an April of 01 car and it is fine. It is actually late 01 and early 02's:flipoff:

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you're even asking about reliability an out of warranty M3 probably isn't what you should be looking at. Also, as with any high performance car, a lot of them are driven hard. Shopping used, you can get a good idea for how the car was cared for, but you won't know everything. If you want/need piece-of-mind then you should look for a new loaded 325 (well personally I'd go for a 330 and go light on the options)

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't there a way to find out the max RPM the car was taken to and as well as the max speed?

·
Rogue Engineering
2,495 Posts
Yea by having the dealer look at the ECU...
I woud also get a 2004 330ci. I got mine....6speed, xenon, moonroof, sport package, oem alarm for 38,2...the 330 engine is not an m3 engine but it definately moves.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Straz 330Ci said:
Yea by having the dealer look at the ECU...
I woud also get a 2004 330ci. I got mine....6speed, xenon, moonroof, sport package, oem alarm for 38,2...the 330 engine is not an m3 engine but it definately moves.
What he said..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah Go for a new car. 2004 330ci preferably. Although an M3 is an M3 and top of the 3 series class, I would hesitate to put my money on a used car. You don't know how the previous owner drove the car and what it went through.

I had the same choice to get a used M3 or a new 2004. I stuck with the 2004 because I know that I am the first ever driver. And plus, nothing beats the feeling of riding in a new car with the new smell.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could I get a 2004 BMW 330Ci Coupe with 6-speed manual transmission for under $40,000? With which options will it come with?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, I built a 2004 BMW 330Ci Coupe at www.bmwusa.com and this is what I came up with:

Premium Package
Sport Package
Xenon low-beam and high-beam headlights with auto-leveling and Adaptive headlights
18" Double Spoke alloy wheels
Park Distance Control (rear)

MSRP: $43,520

How much discount could I get?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts