E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first german vehicle, which is my 2004 BMW 325CI Convertible. The top unfortunately does not go down and I have been doing research on what issues it could be. The red light is blinking and when I press the down button I can hear the motor trying to work however still it gets stuck. Also the trunk does not open with the release button on the trunk itself. It has to be opened with the key. Please any help would be appreciated. This is my first german car and I really don't want to mess anything major up. I made sure the trunk was closed, made sure the thing in the trunk was not in lock position.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It could be the wiring from the body to the trunk lid through the elephant trunk. Look for Youtube videos on cutting it open to inspect wires. What exactly gets stuck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the wiring from the body to the trunk lid through the elephant trunk. Look for Youtube videos on cutting it open to inspect wires. What exactly gets stuck?
It gets stuck midway. Then just makes a clicking noise. I tried looking up youtube videos and it showed me hydraulic stuff. I'm having a bit more trouble finding what you said.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Try the E46 fanatics convertible forum. A few reference sites getting into typical wiring problems. May be at the elbow over driver's head.

·
Registered
01/2001 325cic 240,000
157 Posts
Sounds exactly like my 01’ 325cic last month.
First check that driver side elbow wiring harness, my ground was pinched clean through so I cut out a section and soldered in new 18ga stranded wire.

Second, Get yourself a K+DAN cable and find any post by BaliDawg. Install INPA/BMW Standard tools. This is your best diagnostic friend. Scan your convertible module for any other issues.

Other convertible things to search for on these forums.
-Bolt/belt fix for the motor housing.
  • luggage compartment microswitch
  • elephant trunk wiring harness (mines broken too!)
  • batwings!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds exactly like my 01’ 325cic last month.
First check that driver side elbow wiring harness, my ground was pinched clean through so I cut out a section and soldered in new 18ga stranded wire.

Second, Get yourself a K+DAN cable and find any post by BaliDawg. Install INPA/BMW Standard tools. This is your best diagnostic friend. Scan your convertible module for any other issues.

Other convertible things to search for on these forums.
-Bolt/belt fix for the motor housing.
  • luggage compartment microswitch
  • elephant trunk wiring harness (mines broken too!)
  • batwings!
How do I check the driver side elbow wiring harness? Is that underneath the convertible top or do I have to slice something to see those wires?

·
Registered
01/2001 325cic 240,000
157 Posts
Pull the rear seat divider, lift up the flap and press the button to unlock the top motor. Operate the top manually until the front part is angled up ready to lower and latch. Sit in the drivers seat and look up to the left. You should see the webbing that encases the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull the rear seat divider, lift up the flap and press the button to unlock the top motor. Operate the top manually until the front part is angled up ready to lower and latch. Sit in the drivers seat and look up to the left. You should see the webbing that encases the harness.
Okay thank you. I appreciate it. Also do you mean DCAN instead of DAN?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
As i suggested above, look at the reference material at start of this Forum. Also google e46 convertible top wiring harness and fill your boots! One of those shows a guy using a soldering gun to cut the casing. I'd then manually lower it, close tonneau lid and see what happens when you press top close button. You need to closely examine the wires at the elbow. But you may need to get the codes read at some point to narrow things down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As i suggested above, look at the reference material at start of this Forum. Also google e46 convertible top wiring harness and fill your boots! One of those shows a guy using a soldering gun to cut the casing. I'd then manually lower it, close tonneau lid and see what happens when you press top close button. You need to closely examine the wires at the elbow. But you may need to get the codes read at some point to narrow things down.
Okay thank you for your help I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I used the blade tip on my soldering gun. Cauterizes the edges of the casing. Go slowly and try to pinch the casing so as not to hit wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I go to do it it the top unlock but the back space don't open up and the top just open up but don't go down the motor sounds like it's struggling

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Have you checked your fluid level in the trunk?
Does it get to the point where the piece with the rear window lifts? Will it go in reverse and close?
Did you check the wires at the elbow?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts