E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2004 Acura TL vs 330i

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Iniquity 
#1 ·
so...which one is better? I took a ride in the new 2004 TL, it looks pretty nice, though I didn't drive it....so? which one is better?

#3 ·
lol, i know we love our cars...I mean I'd take mine over that car ne day....but performance wise....my friend doesn't understand the meaning of BMW...he just keeps on saying that I could have gotten a "better" car for a cheaper price...I ofcourse said "TL is still not a BMW"

#5 ·
Az330im said:
lol, i know we love our cars...I mean I'd take mine over that car ne day....but performance wise....my friend doesn't understand the meaning of BMW...he just keeps on saying that I could have gotten a "better" car for a cheaper price...I ofcourse said "TL is still not a BMW"
Werd,

tell him when he gets a RWD or AWD car then he
has something to brag about...

I mean i like the new TL but they need to stop comparing these 2 cars to each other.

#7 ·
TL 6 speed

This is pretty funny since I test drove a 6 speed TL today. It is a nice car with good power and features, but I did not have that command of the road feeling that I get when I drive my car. (Which turned 100k miles last week!!!) The shift action on the TL was better than Audis I have driven in my opinion, but not up to par with our cars.

Also, as many of you have already stated, FWD sucks.
:dennis: :dennis: :dennis:

#8 ·
I think this is my 2nd comparison thread...lol, the first one was 325Ci vs Integra(only cuz the guy was askin for a race) and the 2nd one was about which car my dad should get, and now this one...I just like knowing comparisons I guess...i donno

#9 ·
now probably the new tl is a better car than then 330i both in power and technology, but we all know the resale value for japanese cars are so bad compare to euros so in 3-5 years the 330i will hold more value than the tl.

#10 ·
The TL is cheaper & probably going to be more reliable - that's about the extent of its edge. If you're only going to keep a car for 4 yrs, then reliability isn't really an issue because of warranty plus BMW gives 4 yrs free maintainence.

The new TL probably isn't going to be faster than the old, 10 more hp but the torque band is not as wide as the old's.

The handling sucks, it's not even a case of "it's good but not as good" - it simply doesn't measure up. Start w/ a fwd setup, a much bigger car that's 200 lbs heavier, add in a turning circle of almost 40 ft (that's bad), & you've got a car designed to be big & comfy - not for performance.

Also keep in mind that in every comparo, the previous TL placed last or 2nd worst in braking distances. It's a great value but it's obvious they cut corners when it comes to brakes to achieve such a low price.

Fit & finish is excellent but so is the 3-Series' according to both Consumer Reports & Edmunds ratings.

#11 ·
jp323i said:

The new TL probably isn't going to be faster than the old, 10 more hp but the torque band is not as wide as the old's.
What are you talking about? The new TL as 45 more hp than the old one. 225 vs. 270

#16 ·
There hasn't been a full comparison of the new TL to the 330, so it's just opinion so far. And, of course a BMW list will be sided. :)

FWD does NOT always suck. Have you driven an Integra or RSX or Mazda 6?
And, RWD isn't always so great either such as Mustang GT's or Camaro's.

Comparing the TL to the 3 series is not even close to apples to blueberries.
These cars ARE in the same competitive category looking for the same customer. Most people who would look at a AcuraTL will also look at Audi, Mercedes, and BMW along with Infiniti and Lexus.
It's more like a Red Delicious to a Granny Smith or Johnathon Gold.
They are apples just done a slightly different way.

TT

#17 ·
Obviously fwd doesn't always suck. However, some facts about the TL vs. 330i in handling

1. FWD vs. RWD - advantage 330i

2. 3491 lbs vs. 3285 lbs - advantage 330i

3. 60/40? vs. 50/50 distribution - advantage 330i

4. P235/45WR17 tires (opt) vs. P225/40ZR18 f and P255/35ZR18 r (opt) - advantage 330i

5. 39.7 ft vs. 34.4 ft turning circle - advantage 330i

Further, Edmunds points out that Acura has stated its handling target is the 530i, not the 330i. The 530i has very good handling but it's no 330i in handling.

If you want a true sports sedan, one that has excellent handling - the TL simply doesn't measure up. I'm not ragging it because it's a very good car & an excellent value but it's better compared to an ES330 or I35 - not a sports sedan benchmark like the G35 or 330i.

#18 ·
SST said:
There hasn't been a full comparison of the new TL to the 330, so it's just opinion so far. And, of course a BMW list will be sided. :)

FWD does NOT always suck. Have you driven an Integra or RSX or Mazda 6?
And, RWD isn't always so great either such as Mustang GT's or Camaro's.

Comparing the TL to the 3 series is not even close to apples to blueberries.
These cars ARE in the same competitive category looking for the same customer. Most people who would look at a AcuraTL will also look at Audi, Mercedes, and BMW along with Infiniti and Lexus.
It's more like a Red Delicious to a Granny Smith or Johnathon Gold.
They are apples just done a slightly different way.

TT
Well whatever the TL looks like a refined dodge stratus

#19 ·
Well what it looks like is a matter of personal opinion.
Have you seen the new BMW's?
The Z4 is a bit....out there. The 5 is looking more and more Japanese, although I think it still looks nice. The new 3 will have lost much of what makes a BMW a BMW, in terms of looks.

"I'm not ragging it because it's a very good car & an excellent value but it's better compared to an ES330 or I35 - not a sports sedan benchmark like the G35 or 330i."

I'll disagree. Even if it's benchmark is the 5 series, although it's price is more 3 series, it's still a sport sedan. And, the 5 series is still a sport sedan as far as I'm concerned. BMW builds various sizes of sports sedan in my view.
I'll agree the TSX is a better comparison to the 3 series. However, the price difference to the TL keeps the TL in the hunt with the 3 series.
The TL Type S has always been in competition with the G35 and 330i, and not with the ES330 which is luxed over Camry. The standard TL was softer in it's approach. But, remember this new TL no longer has an "S" type. It has been pushed up to that level as standard. So, it strives to be and is more than an ES330.

TT

#20 ·
SST said:
"I'm not ragging it because it's a very good car & an excellent value but it's better compared to an ES330 or I35 - not a sports sedan benchmark like the G35 or 330i."

I'll disagree. Even if it's benchmark is the 5 series, although it's price is more 3 series, it's still a sport sedan. And, the 5 series is still a sport sedan as far as I'm concerned. BMW builds various sizes of sports sedan in my view.
I'll agree the TSX is a better comparison to the 3 series. However, the price difference to the TL keeps the TL in the hunt with the 3 series.
The TL Type S has always been in competition with the G35 and 330i, and not with the ES330 which is luxed over Camry. The standard TL was softer in it's approach. But, remember this new TL no longer has an "S" type. It has been pushed up to that level as standard. So, it strives to be and is more than an ES330.

TT
If Acura says their handling goal is the 5-Series, what does that tell you? To me, it says they know they're not even going to come close to the 3-Series, so why not aim lower for the 5-Series which they may or may not beat. There are many brands who say they aim at the 3-Series & most end up short & sometimes close, if they're aiming for the 5-Series then they may not even beat that.

I agree, the 5-Series still has very good handling but the TL is closer to the bottom half than the top half when it comes to true sports sedans. The 330i, G35, A4, & IS300 all have superior handling.

I'm not arguing against the TL at all, just when it comes to being a true sports sedan. Infiniti didn't come out & say we're aiming at the 5, they made it clear the 3 was their aim.

#21 ·
I don't get it.. how come people say bmw's are looking more and more japanese?? It's really the other way arond in my opinion...

the 7 was the first car on the market with a flame edge design.. then honda followed suit with their accord... . me and AZN_M5 were talking one day and realized from a little bit of distance.. it was hard to tell the rear of the new accord coupe apart from a mercedes.. and even in the past.. from a distance I've had a a hard time every once in awhile.. espcially at night.. telling the difference between an e36 and a pre 99 civic/accord from the rear...and now the maxima has it's useless quad exhaust similar to the M3's... (ok.. ok.. now some of you are gonna be like.. well if you can't recognize a bmw your stupid.. whatever..)

in my opinion.. japanese makers are copying european styling... i mean.. just because people don't like what's going on in europe doesn't mean it's a copy of japanese design.... i say give it a few years and everyone will love the new bmw designs..

looking at the new 5 in person.. it's actually pretty darn nice.. the pictures really don't do it justice.. for one.. the front bumper doesn't stick out nearly as far as the pics make you think it does..

anyway.. here we go...

"flame suit on"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.